• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Any Formula One Fans On Here?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I happen to be a huge F1 fan and have been my entire life so I am wondering if we have any other Elio followers who also happen to be F1 fans.

For most of my life I have been a huge McLaren fan so I am hoping this year goes much better than last year but just about anything could happen with those crazy new 'power units' they have this year. Should be an interesting season for F1 fans.

FYI for anyone curious about this thread this is the Off Topic forum.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have been a fan for along time. I am Tifosi but I like many teams. I expected the Mercedes to win the Australian GP but did not expect it to be Nico. Red Bull's performance is surprising I think seeing Vettel in P1 wont be unusual this year they are not far off on performance. Feel bad for Daniel R losing his P2 placement RB thinks they are god and can ignore the FIA's direction.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
It was a very stupid move on Red Bull's part to ignore repeated orders and the team got what it deserved but you have to feel bad for Ricciardo getting stripped of a great finish in his first race for a new team in his home country. The RB car was obviously handling well as the second place finish did show so they will definitely once again be a major threat as long as they can figure out these new power units. Of course I can't feel too bad when it means my team gets points for second and third place however we are just one race into what should be an interesting season.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It was a very stupid move on Red Bull's part to ignore repeated orders and the team got what it deserved but you have to feel bad for Ricciardo getting stripped of a great finish in his first race for a new team in his home country. The RB car was obviously handling well as the second place finish did show so they will definitely once again be a major threat as long as they can figure out these new power units. Of course I can't feel too bad when it means my team gets points for second and third place however we are just one race into what should be an interesting season.

How are you liking the new engine sound? I don't really like it they are very quiet and have an almost electric sound. The 80's Turbo cars were louder than the current cars. Many people are complaing that F1 isnt a F1 without the loud cars. I do think people will have to live with it. I don't see how you can make them louder. I really didn't care for the introduction of KERS and ERS it makes an already expensive sport more so and drives a larger gap from back marker teams to front running teams. If F1 wanted to cut fuel consumption going to a new turbo era would have been good enough. I don't know who convinced them to make a Prius F1 car.

I will say they do sound good from the on board camera while downshifting from a high speed. And they do make interesting little noises but overall they are not as exciting as the V8 V10 or V12 of years past.

KScarguy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Have you guys seen Ford's street driven Formula race car with the turbocharged Ecoboost engine? It can run all day at 70 mph and get 50 mpg. Top speed is around 160, 0 to 60 in 4 seconds and 118 mpg at 35mph.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Have you guys seen Ford's street driven Formula race car with the turbocharged Ecoboost engine? It can run all day at 70 mph and get 50 mpg. Top speed is around 160, 0 to 60 in 4 seconds and 118 mpg at 35mph.

Yes but they have no plans to make it production though. It shows what 1.0 3cyl engines can do though. Basically they pull out cool stuff and say look what we did AND you cant have it na-na, na-na, boo-boo!

Last edited by a moderator:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
How are you liking the new engine sound? I don't really like it they are very quiet and have an almost electric sound. The 80's Turbo cars were louder than the current cars. Many people are complaing that F1 isnt a F1 without the loud cars. I do think people will have to live with it. I don't see how you can make them louder. I really didn't care for the introduction of KERS and ERS it makes an already expensive sport more so and drives a larger gap from back marker teams to front running teams. If F1 wanted to cut fuel consumption going to a new turbo era would have been good enough. I don't know who convinced them to make a Prius F1 car.

I will say they do sound good from the on board camera while downshifting from a high speed. And they do make interesting little noises but overall they are not as exciting as the V8 V10 or V12 of years past.

The sound of the new engines is disappointing. I expected the sound to be muted somewhat due to the turbos however the sound these make was surprising bland. I have been to a number of F1 races and the whine of those engines was an amazing part of the experience as they sounded completely different than anything else. It was also really annoying, making earplugs a necessity, but amazing nonetheless.

As an Electrical Engineer I love high tech electronic and electrical systems however in my F1 racing I wanna see guys manhandling big high-rpm mechanical masterpieces without the aid of traction control. These new hybrid power units derive a good chuck of their low end torque from an electric motor which can easily be manipulated to provide more or less power assist as needed therefore creating an ad-hoc traction control system. Even though they may be high tech and the marketing guys love advertising 'green' technology I feel they are a step backwards for the sport in many ways.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The sound of the new engines is disappointing. I expected the sound to be muted somewhat due to the turbos however the sound these make was surprising bland. I have been to a number of F1 races and the whine of those engines was an amazing part of the experience as they sounded completely different than anything else. It was also really annoying, making earplugs a necessity, but amazing nonetheless.

As an Electrical Engineer I love high tech electronic and electrical systems however in my F1 racing I wanna see guys manhandling big high-rpm mechanical masterpieces without the aid of traction control. These new hybrid power units derive a good chuck of their low end torque from an electric motor which can easily be manipulated to provide more or less power assist as needed therefore creating an ad-hoc traction control system. Even though they may be high tech and the marketing guys love advertising 'green' technology I feel they are a step backwards for the sport in many ways.

I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if RB did do some traction control trickery like last year. But I think right now getting them reliable is more important.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I happen to be a huge F1 fan and have been my entire life so I am wondering if we have any other Elio followers who also happen to be F1 fans.

For most of my life I have been a huge McLaren fan so I am hoping this year goes much better than last year but just about anything could happen with those crazy new 'power units' they have this year. Should be an interesting season for F1 fans.

FYI for anyone curious about this thread this is the Off Topic forum.
Been a F1 fan since the early 80's and have been to both Silverstone and Brands Hatch races in the UK, Belgium, Monte Carlo, Toronto, San Marino, and both venues in Italy. I'm a Red Bull team fan and watch every race. Haven't been to a live F1 race in over 8 years. Went to the Ferrari factory two years ago. Their F1 trophy room is amazing and all the cars are there.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
A few years back I actually had the pleasure of being based out of Modena, Italy for six months. For any F1 fan, whether you are a Ferrari fan or not, the Ferrari museum really is amazing and the trophy room really is awesome to behold. I was also able to plan my stay in Europe to coincide with the F1 season so I was able to make it to most of the active tracks in Europe. I don't think I actually made any money those six months as I spent it all traveling every weekend however I will never forget the entire experience including those amazing F1 races.
Funny thing is that I kind off have to thank my ex-wife for that experience as after a rather bitter divorce I took the job to get as far away from her as I could. :D

Top Bottom