• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Any Hams Getting An Elio?

Critter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK - I am planning to put full or mostly full HF (40-10). I have never done it before but this is the first car in years that my kids will not get free reign. I hoping to get an 857 and and auto-tuner and then prolly just run a 102 on a trunk lip mount. However if I do set that up I want to add a 2M / 70CM antenna as well. What I am not sure is if I put one on each side of the trunk lid if there will be enough separation. I have had some pretty close antennas before but never 1 foot. Otherwise I think the 102 centered on the trunk lid lip and a small NMO mag mount.

I don't know what do you guys think? As cool as it would be I am NOT going to mount a big ol' screw driver.

I would think the 2 antennas would have less interference if the maximum distance was between the antennas. Maybe a lip mount near the front hood for the 2m/70cm would be a better choice ?

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think Paul was talking symbolically ham radios wave frequency assignments as simply an illustration of production conflicts that cause extra production costs for anything. It has nothing to do with the the actual hobby. For those that think they have to go crazy with a 1000 Watt linear amplifier I'll be selling an after market EMF pulse generator. It will have a unidirectional parabolic antenna enabling the owner to select only the intended and offending vehicle. Need I describe what an EMF pulse generator does to the electrical system of the target? LOL

Yeah, I thought even the idea of a 1000 watt LA would draw sparks....LOL. I once had a neighbor who had an amped-up CB, and his signal bled across almost anything with an amplifier in it!!!
Gotta watch out for those EMF pulse generators....make sure your pacemaker is turned off.....
I actually had a ham-radio friend who was up in Alaska in the big earthquake in 1964. His truck ham radio was the only communications for the entire area for a while.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought even the idea of a 1000 watt LA would draw sparks....LOL. I once had a neighbor who had an amped-up CB, and his signal bled across almost anything with an amplifier in it!!!
Gotta watch out for those EMF pulse generators....make sure your pacemaker is turned off.....
I actually had a ham-radio friend who was up in Alaska in the big earthquake in 1964. His truck ham radio was the only communications for the entire area for a while.
You're right. I keep forgetting the unintended collateral damage factor. I use to have a sign on my desk that reads "thank you for not breathing while I smoke. I quit in 1998 though and dispensed with the sign.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would be "all-in" on a directional cellphone disabler (heck, cellphone melter!) for the clowns on the highway.:mad: Put me down for two units, I'll wear the first one out in a week! :D
Johnapool had sent me back to the drawing board. I think he has sent me there before. Non the less , NSTG8R, chatting and texting in the car really pushes my buttons to. I'm going back to the drawing board and come up with another after market. This gets me thinking about my old Electronics warfare days in the ASA. LOL For starters, try this idea out. Let's say I found away to project a hologram clandestinely a couple of hundred feet to the windshield of the offending texter. The Hologram would be of some gaudauful monster crouched up on his hood grabbing at his windshield wipers and trying to break though his windshield to get inside? Hum?

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Johnapool had sent me back to the drawing board. I think he has sent me there before. Non the less , NSTG8R, chatting and texting in the car really pushes my buttons to. I'm going back to the drawing board and come up with another after market. This gets me thinking about my old Electronics warfare days in the ASA. LOL For starters, try this idea out. Let's say I found away to project a hologram clandestinely a couple of hundred feet to the windshield of the offending texter. The Hologram would be of some gaudauful monster crouched up on his hood grabbing at his windshield wipers and trying to break though his windshield to get inside? Hum?

Those guys across the pond have already done it for you....http://www.thesignaljammer.com/products/Cell-Phone-Blocker-Mini.html

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...... Let's say I found away to project a hologram clandestinely a couple of hundred feet to the windshield of the offending texter. The Hologram would be of some gaudauful monster crouched up on his hood grabbing at his windshield wipers and trying to break though his windshield to get inside? Hum?

The jokers I see everyday wouldn't even notice until they hit 'send' on their critically important text message...But I like the way you think!

How about a signal jamming transmitter with, say, a 200' radius around your car [Elio]. Anyone on their phones would get an incredibly annoying sound coming through their phone speaker...something like an old modem connecting sound should do. And for the 'texters', any thing they thumb in will read, "Hang up and drive" on their screen.o_O

If you can make it happen, I'll be your beta tester!!:D

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Okay then, Folks needs to come up with an amplifier to increase this little beauty's range from 30' to 300' and I'm in!
OK so now we know I'm just blowing smoke. And all the while I said I quit back in 98. I see what you mean about the 300 feet. On the highway we need at least that distance to be effective. Kind a neat the Johnapool found that one overseas, though.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK - I am planning to put full or mostly full HF (40-10). I have never done it before but this is the first car in years that my kids will not get free reign. I hoping to get an 857 and and auto-tuner and then prolly just run a 102 on a trunk lip mount. However if I do set that up I want to add a 2M / 70CM antenna as well. What I am not sure is if I put one on each side of the trunk lid if there will be enough separation. I have had some pretty close antennas before but never 1 foot. Otherwise I think the 102 centered on the trunk lid lip and a small NMO mag mount.

I don't know what do you guys think? As cool as it would be I am NOT going to mount a big ol' screw driver.
Nathan, welcome from sunny warm New Mexico (it was 92 yesterday). Enjoy the Elio experience and the journey with us.

Hightech

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

No HAM radios

Google caption a little off, but he says
"we're getting rid of all the HAM radio specs"

Screen Shot:
upload_2015-3-30_16-23-27.png

Video:

Last edited:
Top Bottom