• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Any Schematics Released?

emt1581

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like to do whatever work I can on my vehicle. Whatever I can't do I use my mechanic that I trust and who does great work MUCH cheaper than a major shop would like...say...Pep Boys.

However, other than the 4 bolts the need removing to get to the front tires, I don't know much else about the vehicles layout in terms of where everything is. For example, where is the tail pipe?? I haven't seen one in any of the pics I've seen but maybe I'm just missing it. I read somewhere that a special bar would be needed to get it up in the air on a traditional lift. But what about lift points for floor jacks and stands?

Again, just curious if any schematics have been given to us of what the undercarriage will look like?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Brian1362

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like to do whatever work I can on my vehicle. Whatever I can't do I use my mechanic that I trust and who does great work MUCH cheaper than a major shop would like...say...Pep Boys.

However, other than the 4 bolts the need removing to get to the front tires, I don't know much else about the vehicles layout in terms of where everything is. For example, where is the tail pipe?? I haven't seen one in any of the pics I've seen but maybe I'm just missing it. I read somewhere that a special bar would be needed to get it up in the air on a traditional lift. But what about lift points for floor jacks and stands?

Again, just curious if any schematics have been given to us of what the undercarriage will look like?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Abolutely not. We can speculate/guess and have someone come up with one. That seems to be the case around here. But any good cold hard facts are just not going to work. Personally, other than some AWESOME technical/mechanical information based on real experianceand knowledge in both fields, I have gotten more information regarding the actual Elio from eliowordpress.com and eliomotors.com. Even the Elio Facebook page is mostly speculation/conjecture.

Buckeyejake

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure all your questions will be answered prior to the first production vehicles. Right now, we are all awaiting more firm answers. My feeling is that some of your questions have not even been decided by the design team.

emt1581

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure all your questions will be answered prior to the first production vehicles. Right now, we are all awaiting more firm answers. My feeling is that some of your questions have not even been decided by the design team.

Well, in order to have a working prototype...lift points and part locations would HAVE to have been figured out.

But from both replies I'm getting what I've got from reading all over the net...that Elio loves to tout it's dreams/aspirations...without much facts/technical data to back them up. That is definitely a hit against them, but so long as they deliver a quality/durable product that is versatile and easy to work on...I don't think it should hurt them too much.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, in order to have a working prototype...lift points and part locations would HAVE to have been figured out.

But from both replies I'm getting what I've got from reading all over the net...that Elio loves to tout it's dreams/aspirations...without much facts/technical data to back them up. That is definitely a hit against them, but so long as they deliver a quality/durable product that is versatile and easy to work on...I don't think it should hurt them too much.

Thanks

-Emt1581

I understand where you're coming from. But, they are still in prototype mode and the production model has not been finalized. I doubt anyone would release any schematics until they are ready to produce because they are bound to change. I don't see that as a knock on the company. Elio has been very transparent and has released much more information than any other car I can remember. Normally we don't see prototypes, we only see the final version when its released.

emt1581

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand where you're coming from. But, they are still in prototype mode and the production model has not been finalized. I doubt anyone would release any schematics until they are ready to produce because they are bound to change. I don't see that as a knock on the company. Elio has been very transparent and has released much more information than any other car I can remember. Normally we don't see prototypes, we only see the final version when its released.

I see any lack of info as a hit but I'm pretty conservative when it comes to my safety and money. So no matter what, I'm waiting at least a year and will be watching VERY closely to see how these perform before buying one. Nothing against Elio, that's just how I roll with pricier things. I do the same with guns and electronics/optics as well.

-Emt1581

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Once the Elio's design is finalized and production begins, look for owner's manuals and service manuals to be available very quickly. In today's market, printing of these references is quickly disappearing, replaced by online manuals or CDs. The best part of this approach is that your shop manual never gets greasy. Print the section you're working on, and when the job's done you can use it to wipe the dipstick or your hands. The "virtual manual" lives on your computer.

The operations manual for my last Lexus RX was the size of a large paperback book - and that was just the instructions for the Nav system and DVD player. This book fit into a pocket in a 9"X5" portfolio that included the owner's manual and all the legal junk. The thing could have been used as a booster seat for a small child. I purchased and downloaded a .pdf shop manual that was searchable and convenient - so long as I was working on the car at home. For my next-gen RX, dumped the shop manual to a thumb drive I keep on my keychain, along with my emergency contact information and medical history. Wherever there's a computer, I can work on my car . . . or an EMT can work on ME. ;)

emt1581

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once the Elio's design is finalized and production begins, look for owner's manuals and service manuals to be available very quickly. In today's market, printing of these references is quickly disappearing, replaced by online manuals or CDs. The best part of this approach is that your shop manual never gets greasy. Print the section you're working on, and when the job's done you can use it to wipe the dipstick or your hands. The "virtual manual" lives on your computer.

The operations manual for my last Lexus RX was the size of a large paperback book - and that was just the instructions for the Nav system and DVD player. This book fit into a pocket in a 9"X5" portfolio that included the owner's manual and all the legal junk. The thing could have been used as a booster seat for a small child. I purchased and downloaded a .pdf shop manual that was searchable and convenient - so long as I was working on the car at home. For my next-gen RX, dumped the shop manual to a thumb drive I keep on my keychain, along with my emergency contact information and medical history. Wherever there's a computer, I can work on my car . . . or an EMT can work on ME. ;)

I see where you're coming from. I just wish we knew at least the structural make-up of it. But with the entire body covered in that shroud of secrecy it's hard to get a good look up her skirt.

Maybe someone who sees one in person or lives near the factory can snap a few up-skirt pics for us.

-Emt1581

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I see where you're coming from. I just wish we knew at least the structural make-up of it. But with the entire body covered in that shroud of secrecy it's hard to get a good look up her skirt.

Maybe someone who sees one in person or lives near the factory can snap a few up-skirt pics for us.

-Emt1581

Here's a picture of the naked Elio. You're asking a lot of the same questions I did when I first found out about this vehicle. When did you find out about the Elio? By the way, welcome to the forum!
naked elio.jpg

emt1581

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a picture of the naked Elio. You're asking a lot of the same questions I did when I first found out about this vehicle. When did you find out about the Elio? By the way, welcome to the forum!
View attachment 1049

Awesome! Thanks for posting that!!

Umm...I think I first saw it Friday. Initially my response was..."Hmm...looks like a toy". Then I thought about it and for what it is supposed to offer in better gas mileage than my motorcycle and a low price tag...it got my attention and has had it ever since.

Usually with something like this, I bite and don't let go until I own one or until I encounter a deal breaker ($10K+ price tag, expensive parts/repairs, safety issues, etc.).

Sort of seems like there wouldn't be any part of the frame to grab on to for a hitch unless you slid it inbetween the rear wheel cover and body and dropped down a thick piece of beam.

Again, thanks for the image!!

-Emt1581

Top Bottom