• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Anyone Know How Big Of Tire We Can Stuff Under The Back?

Gizmo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just plugged one of my truck tires a month ago and it's still hasn't needed any air since. Went for a week putting air in before and after work. I've used the green slime on the motorcycle and riding mower tires. I quit using the fix-a-flat crap several year ago as it was a mess for me and whoever changed the tire.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My wife's 2011 Kia Optima has a spare tire but if we'd bought a 2012 or newer it would have the "mobility kit", or in other words a can or sealant and pressurized air.

I've been on the planet a while and have had lots of flat tires. I've played with many sealants and plug kits and with motorcycle tires, at least the ones I can spoon on myself, I get to see the aftermath when I eventually change the tire. What I think I've learned:

Latex goo + air in a can, AKA Fix-A-Flat.
May or may not get you off the road. Creates a horrendous mess and stays liquid in the tire forever. The tire guy will will thank you if you warn him of its presence in advance (after he gets done with the F-bombs).

Liquid sealants (Slime, Ride-On)
I've used both of these and my personal favorite is Ride-On. It has saved my butt a few times. Story time: A week before leaving on a cross-country motorcycle trip I got a small finish nail through the tread of my brand-new front tire. Dumped in the recommended amount of Ride-On and went on the 8009 mile trip. Two years and an additional 4000 miles later I removed the tire and found a very thin layer of the stuff coating the inner surface of the tire. No gooey mess, nothing poured out, and the tire seemed none the worse for it. I did notice over the life of that the tire that it needed to have air added LESS often than normal. I can't comment on their claim to balance the tire because I usually keep them balanced anyway.

Plug kits:
I've used the gooey rope type and the rubber mushroom type and both work WITH PRACTICE. You will not be happy using one for the first time on the side of the road. Any tire manufacturer will tell you it's temporary and the tire must be replaced immediately. I've run many plugged tires until they were worn out and never had a plug leak or come out.

As with anything in the internet, YMMV.
Nice post, well-written, entertaining, and informative.

Top Bottom