• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Aptera

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I frequent the Facebook posts from Elio Motors, and I tired quickly of folks saying things like "bah ... the Elio... just like the Aptera...". I decided to do a little compare and contrast, to show if they are similar in any respects.
Let me know of any items that need changing. Thought it would be fun to compare and cuss and dis-cuss.

Elio Vs Aptera snip 3.JPG

Elio Vs Aptera snip 4.JPG

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I frequent the Facebook posts from Elio Motors, and I tired quickly of folks saying things like "bah ... the Elio... just like the Aptera...". I decided to do a little compare and contrast, to show if they are similar in any respects.
Let me know of any items that need changing. Thought it would be fun to compare and cuss and dis-cuss.

View attachment 2792
View attachment 2793
You may want to supplement the ATVM loan info. Elio Motors previously made application, which I believe was later withdrawn. I draw your attention to these 2010 Board minutes, page 4. Additional research in Elioowners forums should reveal further details.
http://www.pontiac.mi.us/document_center/gers021010spec.pdf

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On your chart, about Snow. The initial Aptera design was RWD.

But about the time I wrote to them on the subject, or just after, they implemented FWD.
So Aptera was not specifically designed for snow, so it's not specified and not tested in it, but should have been acceptable operation for FWD.
The only difference is that Elio became aware of the poignancy of the issue and actually tested on snow, if even just informally as a PR moment.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On your chart, about Snow. The initial Aptera design was RWD.

But about the time I wrote to them on the subject, or just after, they implemented FWD.
So Aptera was not specifically designed for snow, so it's not specified and not tested in it, but should have been acceptable operation for FWD.
The only difference is that Elio became aware of the poignancy of the issue and actually tested on snow, if even just informally as a PR moment.

Good stuff Arilea, thanks. I read an FAQ on an archived Aptera website, Aptera themselves IIRC said that the vehicle was designed strictly for southern CA's temperate climate. But you may be right, with FWD it may have done just fine.

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio, if produced and has a successful market share, will open the door to other 3-wheeler manufacturers and your very likely to see the Aptera in a different form. I beleive the market could support an expensive 3-wheeler if the mileage were there. Many don't want to sacrifice the luxuries they are used to in some of the newer vehicles and would gladly pay 20-40k for a nicer 3-wheeler. If Elio is successful I think you'll see at least several more manufacturers within 5 years.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio, if produced and has a successful market share, will open the door to other 3-wheeler manufacturers and your very likely to see the Aptera in a different form. I beleive the market could support an expensive 3-wheeler if the mileage were there. Many don't want to sacrifice the luxuries they are used to in some of the newer vehicles and would gladly pay 20-40k for a nicer 3-wheeler. If Elio is successful I think you'll see at least several more manufacturers within 5 years.

Certainly is possible, will be interesting to see. By 2020, multiple manufacturers of a 3-wheeler if Elio is successful. Maybe so!

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Of course there will be differentiation, the Aptera is expensive relative to the Elio, so they may well need keep EV-drive and on the expensive side of composites. That will justify the higher price-markup, but keep the volumes low.

I think there will be a sizeable niche for an open top scooter with 3/4 body
ClassicScooter.jpg

Top Bottom