• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Aptera

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But he would only get 3 customers every ten years! :cool:
(of course, I don't know how many 'entities' may persue the idea under the radar...)

I suspect that 'RickB' and 'RSchneider' (and some others here) would be great assets for a Cycle-Sled start-up to have.

Can you use a techno advocate with semi-undefined but broadly romanced skill sets in your start up,,,, um like me?
There are lots of people that are underfunded and if they only had Gates just stroke them a check. Paul Elio was one. If Bill sent him a $1B check, we'd all be driving around in Elios. If Bill sent Arcimoto $1B check, they would be selling in all 50 states and ramp up to that 50K per year in 2025. Nimbus could use a $1B check too. Bill has lots of money and for him to just spend $3B on three, 3 wheel startups would make the world a better place. If you can get him to spend $1B between you and I, I bet our three wheeled ideas would be up and running too.

Another good idea would be to just present your idea to a company like Polaris. If they like it, they will be like Arcimoto, pay you for it and put you in charge of that project. Then after a year, eliminate your job. Probable have a year of non compete but who cares, you'd be rich.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Current solar cells are in the 20% range. The maximum has been around 30%, with one test design reaching 42%.

Aptera has 22% efficient Maxeon solar cells. They are probably silicon based. Perovskite is a competitor to silicon and have reached close to that same range of efficency in product and testing.

But this article claims a breakthough of photoresponsivity increase of 250%. But over what? The common or is it for the most efficient test designs? So taking a base line of 22% for common cells, that says 55% (increase 'to', not 'of' as in 22+55). Either way, that would be huge for Aptera. Aptera has limited panel space, and it would be increasing the range and losening environmental limitations like time of day or latitude.

If you started with a 42% test cell, it's impossible to go beyond 100% to 105%, so this 250% increase must not fully apply in that case. And how does 'photoresponsivity' relate to solar-power efficency? Is that the same, or not? Or does that just raise the low-light/low-power threshhold?

-"Optical responsivity is one of these. Optical responsivity is defined as the ratio of the electrical current out compared to the optical power into a solar cell. It's sometimes also called spectral responsivity. While this might sound similar to overall efficiency, optical responsivity is a function of wavelength."

So that says it's now responding to more wavelengths than it did before, (or responding better to only a specific spectrum) but gives me no clue as to how that compares by the square inch to silicone in daylight. I see silicone quoted at a common 70 milliwatts per square inch * 5 hours = 350 milliwatt hours per day. (50w per sqft)

To tell the truth, the only 2 things that mater to us is the cost per watt bolted to a vehicle, and the watts per square inch on same said vehicle.

Last edited:

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Aptera Motors has been approved for a $21 million grant from the California Energy Commission (CEC) to add critical capacity to accelerate scaled manufacturing of the world’s first true zero emission vehicle (ZEV).

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Aptera Motors has been approved for a $21 million grant from the California Energy Commission (CEC) to add critical capacity to accelerate scaled manufacturing of the world’s first true zero emission vehicle (ZEV).

So, now onto production? When is that going to happen?

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wish them well. At 33k + and subject to change, I think I see me in a Tesla before I see me in an Aptera.
You can go 1000 miles in the Aptera between recharges. Just parking it for a day not plugged in, gives you 40 miles. Then it's faster than a Lambo and you can camp out of it. Much better than any Tesla.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Much better than any Tesla.
Apples vs Oranges.

What I like about the Aptera is that it's totally striped down to 'minimum motoring'. Optimised to efficency rather than creature comfort or an Americanised load capacity. Admittedly there is some minimal comfort baked in, and a little cargo space too. But ,if you carry much, forget about limiting to solar.

A true case of total efficiency would be an 'all stops out', 'lay-on-your-back-car' with a camera for a front view, which isn't legal. Or perhaps as an autopiloted version of a coffin and some nifty new laws.

Anyting that does as much as a basic Tesla, can't drive on onboard solar only. Now if you had fold-out panels you could deploy in a parking lot, maybe you could collect enough for 20miles of Tesla running. It just makes zero sense (money wise) to put solar on a current Tesla.

IMHO, Aptera is as different from a Tesla as Tesla is from a common ICE drive. But more in the rest of the car, not as much the drivetrain.

Speaking of which, a solo version is possible engineering wise. Aptera Proves that. Would the Diamond lane make them safe around trucks?
1678834668726.png

Last edited:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Much better than any Tesla.

My Tesla is real, not a maybe, from 2016 even and now with 150,000kms on it.

Also carries 5 adults, and being a 2WD S, it also has a frunk, as there's no front motor in the way, i.e. massive luggage space.

You can go 1000 miles in the Aptera between recharges. Just parking it for a day

I really can not see parking it in an appropriate spot to gather the sun being less of a hassle of the 30 seconds it takes for me to charge my EVs.

This is my workshop daily Geely Emgrand. Video was for a guy who insisted I sit in long charging queues for hours and then wait an hour to charge ..

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just open up a website, read the bold print and cool looking pics. If you notice, everyone is happy when they drive an Aptera, no disgruntaled drivers. The bold print specs have to be true or they would never post them. Isn't that how it works?

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You can go 1000 miles in the Aptera between recharges. Just parking it for a day not plugged in, gives you 40 miles. Then it's faster than a Lambo and you can camp out of it. Much better than any Tesla.
Post it back when you have confirmation that it actually did 1000 mile/charge and went head to head with a Lambo on a track in real time of course.

Last edited:
Top Bottom