• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Are There Any Guarantees?

ImElioEstevez

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I hope everyone is right about it. Lately I have been trying to find where on the website it says you will have your money held in escrow if you choose the $1000 refundable deposit, I'm seriously considering at least taking that step, however, I don't think it is fair to not get the same benefits as those who choose non-refundable. If I back out then I should get to the back of the line, but if I never ask for a refund and stay patient until it comes out in a reasonable time, then I should get the $500 extra toward the car and hold my place in line. That past seems shady to me, it seems too manipulative to get people to put down a non refundable deposit. I want to put in $1000 now, and if this vehicle is not out by July of next year then I will pull it. I think that's fair. So far they seem firm on that release date so I feel good about that decision.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope everyone is right about it. Lately I have been trying to find where on the website it says you will have your money held in escrow if you choose the $1000 refundable deposit, I'm seriously considering at least taking that step, however, I don't think it is fair to not get the same benefits as those who choose non-refundable. If I back out then I should get to the back of the line, but if I never ask for a refund and stay patient until it comes out in a reasonable time, then I should get the $500 extra toward the car and hold my place in line. That past seems shady to me, it seems too manipulative to get people to put down a non refundable deposit. I want to put in $1000 now, and if this vehicle is not out by July of next year then I will pull it. I think that's fair. So far they seem firm on that release date so I feel good about that decision.

I am not sure about the money being put in escrow. I've heard that, but never seen it posted anywhere. As far as being fair, I would disagree. They are rewarding those of us who are willing to take a bigger leap of faith and "invest" in the company by going all in non refundable.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score

“I don't think it is fair to not get the same benefits as those who choose non-refundable.”

Sounds to me like some of those people who always want something for nothing.

No risk, no free money.

ImElioEstevez

Elio Fan
Reaction score
How is me putting down a deposit not a risk? I can kind of understand what you may be attempting to say, but as it came out it makes no sense. I will risk $1000 until July of next year, which is when they say it will be out, actually that's a few months later than what they say, so in actuality if you believe very deeply in the Elio, my post should not have mattered to you because you would be certain that I will have had my Elio well within that time frame. Now, on to my actual point. I will "risk" money that I can be using for my children in the meantime, grocery money, gas money (hurry up Elio, lol), and no telling what other real world expenses may arise, while I wait possibly more than a year for this vehicle. If it comes out and I have not pulled my refund or touched it at all then I think I should qualify for the same benefits as those who made theirs non refundable. I can't honestly see why anyone would have an issue with refundable money that actually never has to be refunded, wouldn't that make my stance just as solid if not more solid than a non refundable deposit, because once you pull the trigger on the non refundable, it's done, you couldn't get it back if you wanted to, so being patient is not an option at that point. Having the will power to have that money just sitting, with the ability to take it back at any moment, yet leave it untouched, should speak volumes. It shows a decision based on rationality and thorough understanding. There are people "all in" still asking if this thing will have a windshield wiper. I have no problem with them and I love seeing all of the happy people, and love being a part of the movement. I also love having my money if this doesn't live up to the hype. I will make my deposit today. Just with some wiggle room.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How is me putting down a deposit not a risk? I can kind of understand what you may be attempting to say, but as it came out it makes no sense. I will risk $1000 until July of next year, which is when they say it will be out, actually that's a few months later than what they say, so in actuality if you believe very deeply in the Elio, my post should not have mattered to you because you would be certain that I will have had my Elio well within that time frame. Now, on to my actual point. I will "risk" money that I can be using for my children in the meantime, grocery money, gas money (hurry up Elio, lol), and no telling what other real world expenses may arise, while I wait possibly more than a year for this vehicle. If it comes out and I have not pulled my refund or touched it at all then I think I should qualify for the same benefits as those who made theirs non refundable. I can't honestly see why anyone would have an issue with refundable money that actually never has to be refunded, wouldn't that make my stance just as solid if not more solid than a non refundable deposit, because once you pull the trigger on the non refundable, it's done, you couldn't get it back if you wanted to, so being patient is not an option at that point. Having the will power to have that money just sitting, with the ability to take it back at any moment, yet leave it untouched, should speak volumes. It shows a decision based on rationality and thorough understanding. There are people "all in" still asking if this thing will have a windshield wiper. I have no problem with them and I love seeing all of the happy people, and love being a part of the movement. I also love having my money if this doesn't live up to the hype. I will make my deposit today. Just with some wiggle room.
I totally respect your descision and no one should put down more than they are comfortable with whether that be $100 or $1000 refundable or non refundable or non at all. We are all here for the same reason, we love this car and we want to see this happena nd be driving one as soon as possible. But at a refundable level, you can get your money back at any time if something comes up. That is not a risk and I don't think its shady on their part to reward those of us who are willing to take a bigger risk. Just my opinion.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's also quite inaccurate. While a Ford F350 sells for about $45,000 plus some options, I think you'll see that the Elio will generate much more in add-ons like different fenders, wheels, seats, dashes, etc. I'm betting it's set up so that dealers can sell and/or install most of that. This will keep the initial vehicle price low while generating profit after the sale. Ask any Harley owner and I'd bet that most if not all of them have purchased chrome parts after the initial sale. These are high mark-up items that allow for great cusomization while keeping the base price low. "Honey, that new Harley Super Low is only $8,000"... Of course, he fails to mention the thousands that he'll add on later in chrome. I have a Honda VTX 1800 and also fall into that category... The other irritating part of that "article" is the comparison where he says "...More than Jaguar and Land Rover combined". Well, duh. Those are two niche markets of very expensive versions of cheaper versions. Elio is doing something different in taking reservations ahead of production. This is a smart move, in my opinion, as it allows the factory to start producing vehicles without worry that they'll sit on lots unsold. Think of any other manufacturer... Ford made the Edsel and had to watch them sit unsold... Luckily for them, they had the money where they could afford to not profit from production of that one car line. I would guess that by the time first year production is complete, all those vehicles will be sold and word of mouth will spread like fire which will increase sales year to year. Keeping it cheap opens THIS new car market to individuals who may have been unable to purchase a more expensive commuter. Whew... that's too much ink (too many electrons) devoted to this already. I'm done.

Buckeyejake

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This whole investment in the Elio is a personal choice based on our own life. There is no right or wrong participation. For example, if I had kids at home, a mortgage payment or a car payment my involvement would be different.

I have done enough research and comfortable enough with the process to go "all in for a non-refundable $1,000. What my motivating drive? I'm old.

Top Bottom