• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Are You Completely Happy With The Design Of Elio?

XanWolf

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I do not know why many people here are so against the Elgin Instrument Cluster.

I am not against it -- I have not seen it in person. My concern is that, while driving, I will have to read something close up to be able to tell what my speed is rather than notice where a high contrast/glowing needle is pointing. I already know where the numbers are as they do not move so I do not need to read them. That will change with this new dash. I am concerned that it will be difficult to read at driving time. That is all.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We're back on this subject again, ok, fine! The car could be improved by changing the Elgin dash for something more functional. And, to me this is the big one, there is a distinct lack of trunk space which will result in too many occasions where the Elio has to be left in the garage while we take the gas burner instead.

imh_HKbhhage.jpg

bunchathrees

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Your proposal has the added benefit of more passenger headroom. And if done properly, it just might support the addition of a sunroof/moonroof/panoramic thingamajiggy/skylight - for those who need another square foot of window in a cabin that is already mostly glass.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Your proposal has the added benefit of more passenger headroom. And if done properly, it just might support the addition of a sunroof/moonroof/panoramic thingamajiggy/skylight - for those who need another square foot of window in a cabin that is already mostly glass.

Thanks for your comments. I had thought of the possibility of larger windows for the passenger but had not done any thing with it. It seems to me that being confined in the back, without being able to see out the front, could prove to be claustrophobic for many people. (Again, a reason to drive the gas burner instead of the Elio.) Larger rear windows might ease the problem.

I did a quick 'n dirty rendering of what the larger windows might look like. But let's be realistic. It is unlikely Elio Motors will make any changes based on our suggestions no matter now much sense they make. They are committed to their own designs and keeping costs low. Changes at this stage will cost money. Besides, who are we? Elio isn't going to let a bunch of amateurs tell them how to design a car.

imhbhhahge.jpg

XanWolf

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I just noticed that the fuel fill is just above what I imagine is the exhaust. I am usually pretty careful in my fueling; but I have seen some people that wind up with a trail of gas down the side of their car. As this is a thread for design, is there any concern here?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. I had thought of the possibility of larger windows for the passenger but had not done any thing with it. It seems to me that being confined in the back, without being able to see out the front, could prove to be claustrophobic for many people. (Again, a reason to drive the gas burner instead of the Elio.) Larger rear windows might ease the problem.

I did a quick 'n dirty rendering of what the larger windows might look like. But let's be realistic. It is unlikely Elio Motors will make any changes based on our suggestions no matter now much sense they make. They are committed to their own designs and keeping costs low. Changes at this stage will cost money. Besides, who are we? Elio isn't going to let a bunch of amateurs tell them how to design a car.

imhbhhahge.jpg

I like the larger windows, they do fit really well.
"..... But let's be realistic. It is unlikely Elio Motors will make any changes based on our suggestions no matter now much sense they make..." & "..... Besides, who are we? Elio isn't going to let a bunch of amateurs tell them how to design a car....."
EM has commented on this design and you're partially correct. They're not going to change the Gen I, it is what it is, and it's not going to change; but changes like this are being considered for future models, is what they have said.
They are focusing on the Gen I now, but in the background they are tossing around ideas for a Gen II, and a Gen III and so on; but they can't let that get in the way of a total commitment to Gen I.
As far as the car builders of the world are concerned, EM is just a "bunch of amateurs"; so all of us amatures have to stick together in this new part of transportation for the world. :thumb:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Hot or not, would rather not see the two meet. Another good reason for fuel fill be be the other side.
The 1st reason, too long a walk to right side to pump up.
??? Do you have T-Rex arms?? Or like the commercial, alligator arms. (just kidding around here)
But for as wide as the Elio is, it would be very easy to reach over and do it.

And as Willie stated, this point has been discussed in great detail multiple times; to the point it's a standing joke here.

Top Bottom