• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Autocycle Definitions

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My friend over at the American Motorcyclist Association told me today that the definition of autocycle has been a hot topic at the AMA after the IMS in Washington this past week and Polaris making a big to-do with the Slingshot (ugly as sin in my opinion), anyway they'll be tracking and possibly writing something on their website about Maine's bill to create an autocycle category. Personally I've started to think of the category with AAMVA descriptions and Elio's suggested language as the gold standard. Anything less is still a motorcycle, anything more an automobile.

autocycle means a three wheeled motorcycle on which the drivers and passengers ride in a completely enclosed, tandem seating area that is equipped with airbag protection, a roll cage, 3 point safety restraints for each occupant and antilock brakes and that is designed to be controlled with a steering wheel and pedals”

I'd like to hear if other definitions of autocycle exist to prepare myself for questions here in Maine I might be asked.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
John, that reads very much like Joel Sheltrown's favorite definition of an autocycle. Let me get it from one of his emails to me:

"autocycle means a three wheeled motorcycle on which the drivers and passengers ride in a completely enclosed, tandem seating area that is equipped with airbag protection, a roll cage, safety belts for each occupant and antilock brakes and that is designed to be controlled with a steering wheel and pedals"

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
John, that reads very much like Joel Sheltrown's favorite definition of an autocycle. Let me get it from one of his emails to me:

"autocycle means a three wheeled motorcycle on which the drivers and passengers ride in a completely enclosed, tandem seating area that is equipped with airbag protection, a roll cage, safety belts for each occupant and antilock brakes and that is designed to be controlled with a steering wheel and pedals"

Yup it's from him. I'm curious though if there are other definitions, in the event someone asks me "So what about.....?"

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Straight from the house bill 65 introduced in NM

""autocycle" means a three-wheeled motorcycle on which the driver and all passengers ride in a completely enclosed, tandem seating area, that is equipped with a roll cage, safety belts for all occupants, airbag protection and antilock brakes and that is designed to be controlled with a steering wheel and pedals"

Francisco

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Questa, NM and Ventana Ranch at Albuquerque, NM
Straight from the house bill 65 introduced in NM

""autocycle" means a three-wheeled motorcycle on which the driver and all passengers ride in a completely enclosed, tandem seating area, that is equipped with a roll cage, safety belts for all occupants, airbag protection and antilock brakes and that is designed to be controlled with a steering wheel and pedals"
Truett:
Thanks for the info. I am hoping to attend any legislation pertaining HB 65. Do you have any other info on this?

Attachments

• 1008141028.jpg
    1008141028.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 253

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Yup it's from him. I'm curious though if there are other definitions, in the event someone asks me "So what about.....?"

My state rep that I'm working with, just sent me the latest version of the bill he is presenting, it had some small changes to the autocycle definition:

"Autocycle" means a three-wheel enclosed motorcycle that has a steering wheel and seating that does not require the operator to straddle or sit astride it.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My friend over at the American Motorcyclist Association told me today that the definition of autocycle has been a hot topic at the AMA after the IMS in Washington this past week and Polaris making a big to-do with the Slingshot (ugly as sin in my opinion), anyway they'll be tracking and possibly writing something on their website about Maine's bill to create an autocycle category. Personally I've started to think of the category with AAMVA descriptions and Elio's suggested language as the gold standard. Anything less is still a motorcycle, anything more an automobile.

autocycle means a three wheeled motorcycle on which the drivers and passengers ride in a completely enclosed, tandem seating area that is equipped with airbag protection, a roll cage, 3 point safety restraints for each occupant and antilock brakes and that is designed to be controlled with a steering wheel and pedals”

I'd like to hear if other definitions of autocycle exist to prepare myself for questions here in Maine I might be asked.
You might want to consider this. It is stolen from Texas and defines a special motorcycle type.
Just change the word "motorcycle" to "autocycle" and you may have it.

(6-a) " Motorcycle " includes an enclosed three-wheeled passenger vehicle that:
(A) is designed to operate with three wheels in contact with the ground;
(B) has a minimum unladen weight of 900 lbs.;
(C) has a single, completely enclosed, occupant compartment;
(D) at a minimum, is equipped with:
(i) seats that are certified by the vehicle manufacturer to meet the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 207, 49 C.F.R. Section 571.207;
(ii) a steering wheel used to maneuver the vehicle;
(iii) a propulsion unit located in front of or behind the enclosed occupant compartment;
(iv) a seat belt for each vehicle occupant certified by the manufacturer to meet the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 209, 49 C.F.R. Section 571.209;
(v) a windshield and one or more windshield wipers certified by the manufacturer to meet the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205, 49 C.F.R. Section 571.205, and Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 104, 49 C.F.R. Section 571.104; and
(vi) a vehicle structure certified by the vehicle manufacturer to meet the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 216, 49 C.F.R. Section 571.216; and
(E) is produced by its manufacturer in a minimum quantity of 300 in any calendar year.

The first time I read it I thought someone had looked at the Elio when they wrote it.

Top Bottom