• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Automotive News (12/5/2015): Three Wheels And A Dream

ks6c

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Elio concedes well-funded automakers have the money and know-how to emulate his three-wheeler. He has no unique powertrain, software wizardry or patents.....

Larger automakers can replicate the vehicle, but there is no way they can duplicate the business model. The obstacles and inertia they would need to overcome would be huge - existing franchise model, dealer power, required inventory, labor contract legacies, overhead, culture and attitudes, just to name a few. Nope, I think larger automakers are the least of our worries.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Elio concedes well-funded automakers have the money and know-how to emulate his three-wheeler. He has no unique powertrain, software wizardry or patents.
"No new technology is allowed on this vehicle," Elio said. "Every part on this vehicle is used somewhere else. But we're putting them together in a unique way, so we can have a disruptive effect without new technology."
In a business plan shared with investors and the SEC as part of the approval process for crowdfunding, the company suggested it will keep prices low, cultivating loyal fans and discouraging rivals from imitating the Elio. In other words, the Elio will be sold with such thin margins that larger rivals would be crazy to imitate it."

The price difference between the Elio and an imitation sold by automakers is less than Paul Elio realizes. The $600-$800 many people will spend to change the elgin dash will make the two vehicles the same price. Many people will choose a competitor vehicle in the first place.

I hope the price of the company failing is worth the elgin dash to Paul Elio.

This is what can happen in a one man company. In a standard company, a board would over rule the CEO (like Paul Elio) and prevent the elgin dash from every being put in a vehicle.

...."This is what can happen in a one man company. In a standard company, a board would over rule the CEO (like Paul Elio) and prevent the elgin dash from every being put in a vehicle."......

Instead you get an Edsel. Complete with the "rolling dome speedometer".
upload_2015-12-22_8-48-41.jpeg

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
A little carefully chosen color for different speeds might help the Elgin dash. Color can be interpreted almost instantly, in peripheral vision, and on quickly changing speeds.
Very true.
Welcome SummerSnow to the ElioOwners forum; the one place you can learn more about the Elio than anywhere else.
If you can't find what you're looking for, just ask a member and they'll be glad to help.

I see you live close to where I was before I move down to the armpit of Portland.
I had a house over by Dash Point; I sold it and moved here in 2003.

Top Bottom