• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Badland 12,000 lb Winch

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've had a desire to mount a winch on the front of our 2011 Silverado since the day I drove it home .... historically (meaning well over 20 years ago) I used Warn winches .... all of which performed well .... this time I'm strongly considering the purchase of a Harbor Freight APEX 22,000 lb Winch .... OK, getting some of the shock out of the way, 12000 lb Warn winches with the same features of a Badland cost in the neighborhood of $2,000 and Warn can no longer advertise as being Made In America .... the top of the line Badland 12000 lb winch sells for less than $500 ....as an eye opener, check out the pages of YouTube videos showing The Harbor Freight APEX 12,000 lb Winch where it has an unbelievable number of glowing reviews .... the reality is, while some things made over there are cheap (at best), not everything made in China is Junk .... as but one example: I recently learned that the small engines used by Toyota and most other Japanese car manufactures are made in China ....in the YouTube videos mentioned above, one can watch them pulling a wide range of heavy loads under a wide range of circumstances .... several of the most successful towing companies that rescue vehicles from the sands of Zion and a host of other wilderness areas in Utah and other surrounding states .... they put all of their recovery equipment through much heavier duty use than I every will .... I believe that Ramsey winches are still made in the USA .... their 12000 lb line sells for something under $2000 .... with its lifetime warranty, if I needed a winch for heavy, steady use, I'd most likely buy a Ramsey .... if I do purchase a winch for our pickup (shown below), I like the looks of the Rough Country Hidden Winch Mounting Plate shown at this link ===> https://www.roughcountry.com/media/c...-installed.jpg .... its reasonably priced and has a good reputation .... I don't know that I'll ever follow through with purchasing another winch but I still very much thinking about it

Attachments

• 160403 001 Silverado 001.jpg
    160403 001 Silverado 001.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 126

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
If your thinking about it that much, your mind has already said YES.
So what stopping you? Money? Realistically what is stopping you from going out and getting it?
Your mind is already made up, go get it, and stop worrying about it.
Post pics of it, and when it's mounted. Now GET

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I should know more later this week .... still too many unknowns/uncertainties

1 ... rope or cable and what length

2 ... open or hidden mount

3 ... model of winch

4 .... accessory equipment (snatch blocks, etc)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I should know more later this week .... still too many unknowns/uncertainties

1 ... rope or cable and what length

2 ... open or hidden mount

3 ... model of winch

4 .... accessory equipment (snatch blocks, etc)
we spent several hours this morning visiting businesses in search of answers to the above ....

1 ... we will go with a cable .... the rope requires much more maintenance

2 .... although the hidden winch mount is better looking, if/when we get one it will have an open mount .... the reason is simple .... with the hidden mount when you need to do most anything to the winch, you have to take apart most all of the truck's front end

we also learned that nobody who works at our local Harbor Freight can answer the simplest technical question about their winches

Last edited:

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score
we also learned that nobody who works at our local Harbor Freight can answer the simplest technical question about their winches
I wouldn't expect your average Harbor Freight employee to know anything more about their products than which isle to find it on. But even that isn't always a given. It's not their fault really. There's just too much stuff for them to possibly know anything about most of it.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IF you're serious, I'd visit 4WD groups and post your questions. Most there will give you honest input, and you'll probably find several who're actually using what you're looking for and have questions about.. Just my two cents..

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with both Ace, and Bert, they bring out some very realistic points. And you found out some great information about the 2 points, you did find.
Yes, I can agree with the cable vs. rope and the hidden vs. exposed. So it's like what else do you need?
You have enough to get yourself started, what are you waiting for? Someone else to do it for you? I'd love to help but the Lear is in the shop right now, so it will have to be commercial, and I don't have the spare change to cover that, sorry.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Suggestions appreciated .... I've never taken a look at a 4-weeling forum ....no matter if I buy a winch or not, that sounds like a good thing to do .... as noted, I've looked at who knows how many dozens of YouTube videos dating back to 2018 on the winches and mounting trays I've considered .... buying the materials and having them installed will cost around $1,000 .... while I'm strongly committed to the install, I'm in no rush ....tied to cost is the fact that Harbor Freight's marketing includes rotating significant discounts on various products to get people into their stores .... the sale that ends today has a good discount on a Badlands winch but not the one I'm interested in .... they had a huge discount on it on Black Friday .... I did take what I consider to be a big step yesterday .... that being deciding on the "Westin MAX Winch Mounting System Max Winch Mount Tray " https://www.autoanything.com/bumper...0519cd9fe103b12b420&utm_term=4581046483915715 .... and the fellow who I will get to install it

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Found these today, worth looking into:

And this one:

Top Bottom