• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Battery Question

dgruis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seriously, smart car batteries are smaller than a car battery, but bigger than a motorcycle battery. It would make sense if the Elio also used a mid-sized battery. The engine size would be comparable to smarts. The smart battery is located under the passenger side floor board, so with $10 of copper wire, the battery could be placed almost anywhere.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seriously, smart car batteries are smaller than a car battery, but bigger than a motorcycle battery. It would make sense if the Elio also used a mid-sized battery. The engine size would be comparable to smarts. The smart battery is located under the passenger side floor board, so with $10 of copper wire, the battery could be placed almost anywhere.
Ah! But will it cost $9 or less to do it another way? That is the Paul Elio way of thinking> :-) Z

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You don't need a lot of battery to get a 1 liter engine spinning. My 2003 Kawasaki ZG1000 does it with an 18 ampere-hour battery.

But let's think bigger... The 2014 Honda GL1800 has an 1800cc flat-six (about 2 Elio engines), weighs 933 pounds, and has at least as much lighting as the Elio will. This behemoth has a 20 ampere-hour battery. The point is once the thing is running the battery doesn't do much. The alternator is doing all the work, relying on the battery only as a short-term reservoir and for voltage stabilization.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
My guess is the battery will be on the smaller end of the auto battery scale however it will be whatever fits within EM's size and weight parameters and is the most cost effective. Counterintuitively this may not be the smallest battery available as sometimes a slightly bigger battery is available in volume for a lower price.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Absolutely agree Odyssey are excellent batteries. I've used them in street and race cars. Problem is they are very expensive compared to a standard flooded-cell so I don't expect the small weight savings will be worth the significant cost increase. Remember this is the vehicle that Paul was walking around saying "we can remove $2 here and $1 there" in one of the interviews.
Sounds like a good after market upgrade.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
amen brother .... may the force be with you

Jim

View attachment 2603

Ditto:

Yoda Pug.jpg

Top Bottom