• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Bikers Rally For Toughter Texting Penalies!

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Bikers rally in Harrisburg for tougher texting penalties
The New Castle News
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 4:00 am
By John Finnerty
CNHI Harrisburg Bureau

HARRISBURG — Motorcyclists are throwing their weight behind an effort to stiffen penalties for drivers who cause fatal crashes while texting.

Rep. Jaret Gibbons, D-Lawrence County, proposes sentences for distracted driving that mirror those for causing injuries while driving drunk.

The bill is dubbed Daniel’s Law in honor of Daniel Gallatin, 68, of New Castle, who was killed in May 2013 when his motorcycle was rear-ended by an SUV while he was driving in front of his daughter’s home.

Laura Gargiulo, 44, of Volant pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter, texting while driving and careless driving. She was sentenced to 60 days in jail and another 60 days of incarceration with work release, followed by house arrest and probation.

She was also ordered to visit schools to talk about the dangers of distracted driving and fined $50 – the penalty in Pennsylvania for texting behind the wheel.

Her sentence incensed Gallatin’s friends and family.

“Regardless of the circumstances, 60 days in jail for a person who admitted committing a crime that caused a death is not sufficient,” said his daughter, Michelle Gallatin-Baughman, after a rally at the Capitol sponsored by the motorcycle group ABATE of Pennsylvania on Monday afternoon.

Gallatin was one of 59 people killed in distracted driving crashes in Pennsylvania in 2013, according to the state Department of Transportation.

“It’s an unfortunate thing, and we need to do everything we can to make some good come out of it,” said Jim Conner, a longtime friend of Gallatin’s.

The Administrative Office of Pennsylvania Courts reported that 1,410 people were given traffic tickets for texting behind the wheel last year. Proponents of Daniel’s Law argue that the penalties aren’t severe enough when the texting leads to tragedy.

“This kind of irresponsible and reckless behavior has very real, and all too frequently, life changing consequences,” Gibbons said. “Nobody deserves to have their life forever altered because of a text message or email.”

The texting ban is difficult to enforce, said District Judge Jeffrey Mensch, in Mifflinburg. He’s only seen a handful of texting tickets cross his desk.

The court system's records show only a dozen texting-while-driving citations issued in Union County in the last three years. Mensch’s court only covers half the county.

“It’s rare,” he said, adding that it’s easier for police to give tickets for texting while driving in more populated areas.

There traffic conditions provide more opportunity for officers to catch people playing with their phones instead of watching the road.

Court data reflect that: Counties surrounding Philadelphia are home to 1 in 5 Pennsylvanians, but were the location of better than 1 in 4 texting-while-driving tickets last year.

Gibbons’ texting bill, introduced last month, isn't the only effort at targeting distracted driving.

Sen. John Wozniak, D-Cambria County, has authored a bill to extend the texting ban to include talking on a cell phone while driving.

“(Drivers) have to realize they are not sitting in their living room,” he told bikers gathered at the Capitol.

Edit: There were these two comments following the story...

"I've seen plenty of bikers texting too. That said I'd love more harsh penalties for all texting and driving cases. Id rather not wait for them to cost a life."

My question to this is: Presuming this comment is about a biker texting while driving, how does that biker hold the phone, text and keep one hand on the grip all at the same time?

"Even the police text while driving, I've seen them do it."

My own comment on all of this:
I was rear-ended last year on one of my MCs at a stop light by a lady who was using her phone, had a little dog jumping around in the mini-van and admitted to the officer that she had taken 3 percodan that morning.

The officer allowed her to drive away.

The biggest problem IMO?
"$50 – the penalty in Pennsylvania for texting behind the wheel."
OK, I might get caught texting and driving. It's a $50 fine. So who gives a damn, right?

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Bikers rally in Harrisburg for tougher texting penalties
The New Castle News
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 4:00 am
By John Finnerty
CNHI Harrisburg Bureau

HARRISBURG — Motorcyclists are throwing their weight behind an effort to stiffen penalties for drivers who cause fatal crashes while texting.

Rep. Jaret Gibbons, D-Lawrence County, proposes sentences for distracted driving that mirror those for causing injuries while driving drunk.

The bill is dubbed Daniel’s Law in honor of Daniel Gallatin, 68, of New Castle, who was killed in May 2013 when his motorcycle was rear-ended by an SUV while he was driving in front of his daughter’s home.

Laura Gargiulo, 44, of Volant pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter, texting while driving and careless driving. She was sentenced to 60 days in jail and another 60 days of incarceration with work release, followed by house arrest and probation.

She was also ordered to visit schools to talk about the dangers of distracted driving and fined $50 – the penalty in Pennsylvania for texting behind the wheel.

Her sentence incensed Gallatin’s friends and family.

“Regardless of the circumstances, 60 days in jail for a person who admitted committing a crime that caused a death is not sufficient,” said his daughter, Michelle Gallatin-Baughman, after a rally at the Capitol sponsored by the motorcycle group ABATE of Pennsylvania on Monday afternoon.

Gallatin was one of 59 people killed in distracted driving crashes in Pennsylvania in 2013, according to the state Department of Transportation.

“It’s an unfortunate thing, and we need to do everything we can to make some good come out of it,” said Jim Conner, a longtime friend of Gallatin’s.

The Administrative Office of Pennsylvania Courts reported that 1,410 people were given traffic tickets for texting behind the wheel last year. Proponents of Daniel’s Law argue that the penalties aren’t severe enough when the texting leads to tragedy.

“This kind of irresponsible and reckless behavior has very real, and all too frequently, life changing consequences,” Gibbons said. “Nobody deserves to have their life forever altered because of a text message or email.”

The texting ban is difficult to enforce, said District Judge Jeffrey Mensch, in Mifflinburg. He’s only seen a handful of texting tickets cross his desk.

The court system's records show only a dozen texting-while-driving citations issued in Union County in the last three years. Mensch’s court only covers half the county.

“It’s rare,” he said, adding that it’s easier for police to give tickets for texting while driving in more populated areas.

There traffic conditions provide more opportunity for officers to catch people playing with their phones instead of watching the road.

Court data reflect that: Counties surrounding Philadelphia are home to 1 in 5 Pennsylvanians, but were the location of better than 1 in 4 texting-while-driving tickets last year.

Gibbons’ texting bill, introduced last month, isn't the only effort at targeting distracted driving.

Sen. John Wozniak, D-Cambria County, has authored a bill to extend the texting ban to include talking on a cell phone while driving.

“(Drivers) have to realize they are not sitting in their living room,” he told bikers gathered at the Capitol.

Edit: There were these two comments following the story...

"I've seen plenty of bikers texting too. That said I'd love more harsh penalties for all texting and driving cases. Id rather not wait for them to cost a life."

My question to this is: Presuming this comment is about a biker texting while driving, how does that biker hold the phone, text and keep one hand on the grip all at the same time?

"Even the police text while driving, I've seen them do it."

My own comment on all of this:
I was rear-ended last year on one of my MCs at a stop light by a lady who was using her phone, had a little dog jumping around in the mini-van and admitted to the officer that she had taken 3 percodan that morning.

The officer allowed her to drive away.

The biggest problem IMO?
"$50 – the penalty in Pennsylvania for texting behind the wheel."
OK, I might get caught texting and driving. It's a $50 fine. So who gives a damn, right?
Now, if I'd been wearing one of my Elio shirts under my jacket, and the lady had hit me in Waco, I have little doubt but that the officer would have arrested me.

That Reminds me. Steve, is there any chance of an Elio badge or patch that we can put on our leather or denim?

Last edited:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Now, if I'd been wearing one of my Elio shirts under my jacket, and the lady had hit me in Waco, I have little doubt but that the officer would have arrested me.

That Reminds me. Steve, is there any chance of an Elio badge or patch that we can put on our leather or denim?

The woman's car should have been confiscated and sold, all proceeds going to the family of the deceased motorcyclist to cover expenses. Her drivers license should have been suspended for 12 months and she should have been required to do six months of weekends serving in the emergency room of a hospital on top of which she should have been charged with vehicular manslaughter.
That could have just as easily been a group of children that she recklessly and negligently slaughtered.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As much as this sucks, let's be honest: I'm betting that 90% of accidents are from 'distracted driving'. Someone not paying attention. There are very few mechanical or 'act-of-God' moments on the road. Someone's not doing what they should be doing.
  • eating
  • talking to passengers
  • adjusting the radio
  • texting
  • reading
  • make-up
  • speeding
  • swerving
  • fast braking
  • day-dreaming
  • etc.
So maybe the penalty for getting in a wreck isn't steep enough in general, but do we really need to single out texting?
Maybe we do... I don't know.

ks6c

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just got back from a 5k miles trip from Denver to Alaska and back, and text-and-drive has become epidemic. The surprise for me over the years, though, is I see it more often from middle-aged drivers than younger folks.

ks6c

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As much as this sucks, let's be honest: I'm betting that 90% of accidents are from 'distracted driving'. Someone not paying attention. There are very few mechanical or 'act-of-God' moments on the road. Someone's not doing what they should be doing.
  • eating
  • talking to passengers
  • adjusting the radio
  • texting
  • reading
  • make-up
  • speeding
  • swerving
  • fast braking
  • day-dreaming
  • etc.
So maybe the penalty for getting in a wreck isn't steep enough in general, but do we really need to single out texting?
Absolutely valid points, though some of your very good examples keep the driver's eyes and concentration off the road for longer and more intense periods than others. I ride on average about 30k miles per year, so I get a lot of road time. And I can't tell you how many times I've been passed by cars seemingly on cruise control while the driver has a newspaper or book open across the steering wheel, or looking in their lap (presumably texting). Technology has just changed the distraction.....

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if she is still texting while driving after the manslaughter charges?

Also, there is something to be said for perfecting the driverless car. Hey, a driverless Elio, the owner could sit in the rear passenger compartment text, eat, drink, apply make up, or nap during their entire daily commute.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if she is still texting while driving after the manslaughter charges?

Also, there is something to be said for perfecting the driverless car. Hey, a driverless Elio, the owner could sit in the rear passenger compartment text, eat, drink, apply make up, or nap during their entire daily commute.
Yeah, they could do that on a bus as well, but who wants to give up the excitement of driving?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
  • eating
  • talking to passengers
  • adjusting the radio
  • texting
  • reading
  • make-up
  • speeding
  • swerving
  • fast braking
  • day-dreaming
  • etc.

Of your list, swerving and fast breaking may be valid responses to external factors. Deer jumps out into the road, fool pulls out without paying attention, either of which could cause swerving or fast breaking.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Of your list, swerving and fast breaking may be valid responses to external factors. Deer jumps out into the road, fool pulls out without paying attention, either of which could cause swerving or fast breaking.
But one, the deer, could be an act of God. The other, avoiding a fool, the fool should be at fault and is doing something they shouldn't be doing.

Top Bottom