• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Bikers Rally For Toughter Texting Penalies!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
it is impossible to remove all possible distractions while driving .... to do so would require isolating all passengers (specially children) from the driver .... allowing nothing (signs, people, dogs, cats, buildings, etc) along the side of the road, eliminate poor weather conditions, and so on .... the reality is, distractions are inevitable .... to me, texting while driving reaches the level of presenting a clear and present danger that simply shouldn't take place .... I can't say the same for most other distractions

JK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Best not to use the phone while driving but for those who will anyway there is a new device due to ship in September 2015.

https://www.navdy.com/

It's a heads-up display so while still distracting you can keep eyes on the road.

Reactions: HHH

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While I avoid using a cell phone while driving, the issue is not necessarily using the cell phone. Nor is it cut and dried.
If you're driving on I10 between Junction, TX and Van Horn, TX on a weekday doing between 80 and 85 it probably doesn't matter.
If, on the other hand, you are on I10 between Junction, TX and Katty, TX, there are areas where you shouldn't be doing anything but paying attention to your driving.
If you're driving between Red Bank, NJ and White Plains, NY, you should never be on your cell phone.
And should you be using the "map" function while you are driving? Maybe you should have looked at a real map before leaving home.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While I avoid using a cell phone while driving, the issue is not necessarily using the cell phone. Nor is it cut and dried.
If you're driving on I10 between Junction, TX and Van Horn, TX on a weekday doing between 80 and 85 it probably doesn't matter.
If, on the other hand, you are on I10 between Junction, TX and Katty, TX, there are areas where you shouldn't be doing anything but paying attention to your driving.
If you're driving between Red Bank, NJ and White Plains, NY, you should never be on your cell phone.
And should you be using the "map" function while you are driving? Maybe you should have looked at a real map before leaving home.
I would never use a cell phone while driving, hands free devices may be safer, but still may be distracting. However, I do use GPS. I use a 'real map' before starting a journey into unfamiliar territory and then route it to my GPS. I find the voice activated directions along the way much safer personally knowing my "next turn is .5 miles to the right" so I can be in the appropriate lane on a busy highway.

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
it is impossible to remove all possible distractions while driving .... to do so would require isolating all passengers (specially children) from the driver .... allowing nothing (signs, people, dogs, cats, buildings, etc) along the side of the road, eliminate poor weather conditions, and so on .... the reality is, distractions are inevitable .... to me, texting while driving reaches the level of presenting a clear and present danger that simply shouldn't take place .... I can't say the same for most other distractions

There are necessary distractions...reading road signs, adjusting your vehicles HVAC controls, etc, and there are unnecessary distractions like playing with the radio or messing around with a cell phone...obviously all distractions can't be done away with, but cell phones could easily be made not to work when they're within a certain distance of a vehicle ignition. The problem with this is that most people today would not be okay with not being able to use their phones while driving, therefore there would be a huge uproar if any such mandate was put in place...

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There are necessary distractions...reading road signs, adjusting your vehicles HVAC controls, etc, and there are unnecessary distractions like playing with the radio or messing around with a cell phone...obviously all distractions can't be done away with, but cell phones could easily be made not to work when they're within a certain distance of a vehicle ignition. The problem with this is that most people today would not be okay with not being able to use their phones while driving, therefore there would be a huge uproar if any such mandate was put in place...

agree on all counts .... I have little regard for those who advocate doing away with distractions they don't like and leaving the others alone .... I believe that laws should pretty much stay out of it unless a given practice can be shown as creating a safety hazard (example: texting while driving) and drivers, although it may no longer be fashionable, should be held accountable

SeattleVet

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I think that that when a person is ticketed for texting/cellphone use while driving, the officer should immediately impound the phone as evidence of the crime until after the court date, or until the fine is paid. The threat of losing their phone for a week or more would be a massive incentive for those that don't already get the message.

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would never use a cell phone while driving, hands free devices may be safer, but still may be distracting. However, I do use GPS. I use a 'real map' before starting a journey into unfamiliar territory and then route it to my GPS. I find the voice activated directions along the way much safer personally knowing my "next turn is .5 miles to the right" so I can be in the appropriate lane on a busy highway.
It is a common misperception that hands free phones are safer when used while driving. While this may make intuitive sense (your eyes aren't off the road while looking at the device), it's not true. It's been shown that what we learn first takes a higher priority in our minds, and we cannot consciously overcome this. Simply stated, we learned to talk way before we learned to drive. So a driver upset with their spouse or teenager talking hands-free while driving will be very distracted. I shudder to think of a driver going through a nasty divorce taking the call with bad news from their attorney . Are they really focused on the roadway and its hazards, or has the conversation become paramount in their brain?

But, this discussion is nothing new. The same concerns were raised when heaters and radios were introduced to the automobile.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll argue that saying "Okay there, Turbo. Call my wife." and then talking to her through my Truck's hands free system isn't much more distracting than putting a window down. I'd just be happy if people would read their owners manuals so they could figure out how to use their turn signals!

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll argue that saying "Okay there, Turbo. Call my wife." and then talking to her through my Truck's hands free system isn't much more distracting than putting a window down. I'd just be happy if people would read their owners manuals so they could figure out how to use their turn signals!
For you and some people, yes, conversing on a hands free device might not be very distracting.
For others, OMG! LOOK OUT! I've seen it often and can name quite a few hands-free-distracted individuals.
The reason? People's heads are wired differently. I'm absolutely am terrified to ride with some of them.

+1 on the turn signals.
You have to give them the benefit of the doubt though.
They may be low on turn signal fluid.

Top Bottom