• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Blacked Out Headlights

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think Floydv is not talking about tinting the lenses or blackening the actual reflectors on the actual lights. I believe he is referring to the areas around the lights beams and making the head light area look dark. There is a tint to put on your lenses also...

The link below shows how to "Blackout" you lights and put "halos" on your headlamps. The yellowish ring is the halo LEDs.

Yes, exactly! Based on the OEM practice of coloring those areas, I'd say those areas are not critical to maintaining luminosity.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, exactly! Based on the OEM practice of coloring those areas, I'd say those areas are not critical to maintaining luminosity.
Seeing what it takes to do that, I would find out the price of a replacement unit because you might need to buy one if they don't come apart that easy; that was a Sion and not all headlight buckets are that easy to separate. ( pull...pull....pry....pull....."SNAP" ..... #@*&%@#!%##@
If it was a job I was doing for someone I would tell them right up front about that possibility and that I would not pay for the replacement if it did happen, then have them sign off on it.

bighammer

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did anyone look closely at the P5's headlights? Maybe it's the glare and reflections, but I'd almost swear the P5 already has blacked out headlights when I look at some pics again, especially the last one:

View attachment 7902
View attachment 7903
View attachment 7904

Looks charcoal, at least. I haven't looked closely, but I'm guessing projectors in the P5? If so, you can pretty much paint everything in there except the lens.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks charcoal, at least. I haven't looked closely, but I'm guessing projectors in the P5? If so, you can pretty much paint everything in there except the lens.
If you can split the housing without cracking it. We talked about this earlier in this thread.

nickskeys

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did anyone look closely at the P5's headlights? Maybe it's the glare and reflections, but I'd almost swear the P5 already has blacked out headlights when I look at some pics again, especially the last one:

View attachment 7902
View attachment 7903
View attachment 7904
They are not clear, but have a bluish cast to them now. They look REALLY COOL in this configuration! Hope they don't change these headlamps or covers for the production model.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
As they should. Reduced intensity of the lights can be an issue in poor weather and dark windows make it more difficult to see traffic on the other side of a vehicle.
How dark are you tinting them? 2%? I've had my windows tinted for the last 20+ years and have never had a problem with visibility.
This is the Magnum I just sold and you can see how dark I usually go
R3-4 View L.jpg

The fronts on this were lighter than my 4 vehicles before it, and the one I'm driving now is darker than these.

RQ wWheels.jpg

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Neither of those are too bad. It's the people driving around with limo tint on huge SUVs that are the problem. They block vision as much as a box truck when you're expecting something closer to a car

Top Bottom