• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Borrow $240 Mil, Or Borrow Alot Less And Start Out Slow?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I didn't say they didn't qualify, per se. At this point EM hasn't mfg.
anything that can be sold to the
Public. Until they demonstrate
That ability the ATVM isn't a
Done deal.
I tend too agree. Since the Fisker ATVM loan default (small loan, small loss) DOE would obviously be more cautious about higher risk lending to startup vehicle manufacturers. I always thought the ATVM loan was EM's best funding shot that would catapult them to production.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I didn't say they didn't qualify, per se. At this point EM hasn't mfg.
anything that can be sold to the
Public. Until they demonstrate
That ability the ATVM isn't a
Done deal.

I may be incorrect in this so feel free to correct me.
Part of the ATVM loan given to Ford was to develop the Ecoboost engine.
And that wasn't a product until it was developed.
As a result, wouldn't the Elio engine be qualified since it will be used in a vehicle designed to achieve extremely high mileage?
And isn't Elio in the process of bringing the old Shreveport GM plant back into production?
These certainly sound like qualifiers and to the same extent that both Ford and Tesla got their loans.
I don't want to touch Solyndra or Fisker since they were both failures for different reasons.

Edit to add URL: http://energy.gov/lpo/ford-motor-company
9:54CDST 4/15/2015

Last edited:

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a result, wouldn't the Elio engine be qualified since it will be used in a vehicle designed to achieve extremely high mileage?
And isn't Elio in the process of bringing the old Shreveport GM plant back into production?
These certainly sound like qualifiers and to the same extent that both Ford and Tesla got their loans.
I don't want to touch Solyndra or Fisker since they were both failures for different reasons.

All good points, but the due diligence guys aren't easy to
Convince & as you said the
Fisker mess doesn't help.
I'm sure all this is in EM
Plan & the 30mil will seal
The deal....

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All good points, but the due diligence guys aren't easy to
Convince & as you said the
Fisker mess doesn't help.
I'm sure all this is in EM
Plan & the 30mil will seal
The deal....

......."the due diligence guys".........
Lawyers!!!
William Shakespeare ---Henry VI, Part 2
You know the quote.......

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
$7.5 Million is a lot of City/County Money. Maybe Caddo Parrish will just have to put those 1500 people to work building roads.

If that happened, at 1.4BILLION DOLLARS for a three mile stretch OF 4 LANE, they would only build about 8 1/2 lineal feet of roadway!.....;)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Edit to add URL: http://energy.gov/lpo/ford-motor-company
9:54CDST 4/15/2015
Perhaps the difference is that Ford is an established auto manufacturer developing a more efficient engine for their car lineup. Tesla Motors was also an established proven EV manufacturer looking to expand existing production facilities to increase production of an actual product. I know EM was invitied to apply and it seems they qualify but financials apparently have changed somewhat resulting in this last delay announcement and nothing has happened at the plant since the contract extension. Nothing much has happened except for a single engine start and no news on that since. Production prototypes would have shown major progress to production. I am hoping for approval soon!

Fisker was a startup vehicle manufacturer and Solyndra isn't relevant to vehicles. Neither were big losses in the big scheme of all the DOE's highly successful loans.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Top Bottom