• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Brake Light Flasher

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I read some studies that say flashing lights are a draw to drunks who lock onto them and end up running into whatever they are mounted to.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When the time comes for EM to export to Europe they will have to have lights mounted on the fenders to show the width at night, so why not now for those of us that want them ( option now ) ?????
As an option, I agree. But I'll be satisfied with good color matching reflector paint.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I read some studies that say flashing lights are a draw to drunks who lock onto them and end up running into whatever they are mounted to.
I believe that.

However, for one thing, these strobes are way faster and brighter (shock value) than a hypnotic "flashing light"

For another, I think that's part of the reason that they sequence back and forth from strobe to solid.

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just an afterthought...
A lot of LEOs will let these slide on motorcycles in areas where they're questionable or downright illegal.
A lot of the same LEOs will not let them slide if they're aftermarket and installed on 4-wheelers in those same areas.
Most of them feel that anything that help bikes be more visible without hindering overall visibility is a good thing.

Same thing seems to hold true for static motor/ground glow effect. Bikes almost always get a pass, cars get nailed for it.

Last edited:

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"I just don't get what advantage the expensive "progressive" feature gives you."

It communicates how heavily you're applying the brakes. My Honda got biffed in the stern last winter by someone who wasn't paying attention; the repair bill was $1400. If this prevents incidents like that, $29.95 is nothing, really.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"I just don't get what advantage the expensive "progressive" feature gives you."

It communicates how heavily you're applying the brakes. My Honda got biffed in the stern last winter by someone who wasn't paying attention; the repair bill was $1400. If this prevents incidents like that, $29.95 is nothing, really.
Yup, I get the function. They make similar units for the main brake/tail lights for bikes.
I don't care (even if a few do "get it") whether they know how heavily I'm applying my brakes.
I'd just rather have them dramatically alerted to the fact that I am applying my brakes.
I don't see any need to send them possibly confusing code of any kind.
All five red items in the second (V-Star) picture are tail/brake lights.
I'm replacing the padlocks with red led 2-way micro-bolts soon.

I don't want them to interpret, guess, calculate or think. I want them to react.

I don't see any advantage at all over what I've got @ $3.29.
The ultra-speed sequential strobing is designed to instantly grab the follower's attention. At any pressure.
I would consider a slower/variable rate strobe via lighter braking pressure to be a detriment instead of an advantage.
These particular stobes continue to cycle through a strobe/solid/strobe/solid sequence as long as there's a brake switch on.
So you're still sending the message while you're stopped in traffic. I'm keeping it simple and effective. But again, that's for a bike.

I was thrown 15 feet through the air when rear-ended while stopped at a light a year and a half ago.

Bike was totalled.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I found out that one of the biggest Auto Dealers in the area (Dick Hannah Auto Group Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Subaru, Honda, Mazda, Mitsu, and like 4 others) installs the 3rd brake light flash feature on all of their used cars, and offers it as an option on all of the new cars.
This one does sense to flash when you dynamite the brakes vs. resting your foot on the brake pedal (aka normal braking). The module they use is very close to this one http://3rdbrakeflasher.com/
I was really surprised how well it works.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Brake lights are almost useless these days where 90% of drivers drive with their left foot on the brake pedal. Stop lights come on when approaching an intersection, starting any downgrade, there is a traffic light ahead, radar detector goes off (regardless of speed), there is a police car within view, or when stop lights come on anywhere ahead, and many more times I can't think of at the moment.
Can you tell that this is one of my pet peeves?

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is obvious though......It got your attention, and you paid attention to what they are doing. Then evaluate the situation from there.
My 'Pet Peeve" is merging traffic that merges slower than the flow of traffic.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
It is obvious though......It got your attention, and you paid attention to what they are doing. Then evaluate the situation from there.
My 'Pet Peeve" is merging traffic that merges slower than the flow of traffic.
I was up in the U-District and they have an on ramp that is down hill merging to Hwy 512,
I was on 512 East bound, and saw a 911 Porsche with a 75 3/4 ton Ford Pickup behind him.
When I saw it, I moved over to the left lane to give them room; only problem was, the Porsche stopped at the end of the on ramp, the pickup didn't.
Pickup drove half way up the back of the Porsche.

Top Bottom