• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Can-am Sypder

fred bott

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
KEN, how much are they asking for one of these ? Bet its more than $6800.

I see used 2009 models on ebay all the time for around $4K. MSRP on a brand new 2014 model is $8900. BUT... you can get it NOW, no waiting until 2015/2016. Heck you could buy a used one, ride it until the Elio is released, then sell it and probably make most of your money back.

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I owned on about two years ago.
Mine was the original roadster. .
I found it quite uncomfortable to ride.They have since addressed the problem with two newer models
I customized the heck out of mine then sold it on their forum.
The thing was quite powerful.
MK
View attachment 1469

Bombardier make some amazing snow mobiles and watercraft, so no doubt they have the power. No disrespect, but that Can-Am looks like a hot mess. If I saw that in person I would have to ask myself why the rider didn't go ahead and buy a Goldwing or a car. :)

It just looks so... lumpy.

AZLife

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased a 2013 Can-Am RT-S back in September. It's an ultimate touring machine with a list price or $27,400 (not that I paid that much for it). I already have over 9,000 miles on it, and I haven't even left the state. It has pretty much replaced my Chrysler 300 for most of the driving that I do. I did own a Ninja many years before. So, I disagree with the others. Once you get comfortable driving this thing, you can take the corners at a very fast speed, and feel safe doing it. Does it lean? No, of course it doesn't. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Do I feel safer on it than a two-wheeler? Absolutely, and so does my wife! Do I enjoy the open air feeling and freedom just as much as a two-wheeler? You better believe I do! Do I have just as much fun on it as a two-wheeler? Heck ya, thus the reason for the 9000 miles in 10 months. As far as riding two up...It is the ultimate in comfort (the RT-S model anyway). My wife claims she is so comfortable back there that can literally fall asleep on longer drives. The rear seat is molded and padded in such a way the rear passenger is kind of tucked in comfort. In fact, it is such a stable machine, I forget she is even back there at times, and so does the powerful Rotax engine. I would NEVER go back to a two-wheeler. This ride is just too fun, safe and comfortable. And the semi-automatic model lets you enjoy your ride even more. No clutch, no handbrake, no foot shifter. Just one right brake pedal for all 3 wheels. And you simply use your left thumb to upshift. No downshifting necessary if you don't want, as it will do it automatically for you.

Now, why did I go $1K all in for an Elio? Well, as Paul Elio claims, the Elio is an "AND" vehicle. They are not trying to sell them to replace your more conventional vehicle. And the same goes for a Can-Am Spyder. Until I get my Elio, I'm not quite sure what I will do with my Spyder. I'm thinking it will still be a totally different ride than the Elio, and I'll want to keep it for the beautiful Arizona weather we have here most of the year. But I can say, I might use the Elio more for my daily commute to work, as the Spyder only gets around 29 miles per gallon. And being quite sensitive to cold, there would be many days where I would love to have the heat in the Elio on the cold Arizona mornings. The air would also be nice at times, but I do love this Arizona dry heat, so having heat in a vehicle would be more important to me than air, LOL.

Fred, if you have the cash, by all means, get yourself a Spyder and the Elio. But the only way to convince your wife about the Spyder is to find someone that will let you test drive a Spyder. Most dealerships won't allow this unfortunately. Once she sits on it, feels the comfort and stability, she will be sold. When she shifts around on the seat and doesn't feel the bike moving, shifting or leaning due to the shifting of weight, she will feel safe. That's the bottom line. And worse comes to worse, if she doesn't like it, you will, and then you will have a reason to get out of the house without her, LOL!

Good luck on your decision.

Go Elio (#3411)....

Here's a quick video of my Spyder:

AZLife

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those lights make you look like a mall cop trying to pull someone over :p

Yeah, they also saved my a$!# on many different occasions. They are "safety visibility" lights from a company called "Lightning Strike". It's not like you drive around with them on. I mostly use them while going through intersections where I feel an oncoming vehicle might make a turn in front of me. Trust me, these LED's are so bright that they really get your attention and make others "stop" for my right of way. They are legal in my home state of AZ. I'd probably have a set installed on my Elio, because I have really had some good results from them. And at least I'm still around to "endorse" them to others. ;)

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wanted a Can-Am at one point, but I got over it. :)

The lack of lean just made the ride look sterile and joyless. I would be much more likely to purchase a Piaggio MP3 500cc scooter before I put money down on a Can-Am.

It just looks FUN! (She looks fun, too! :p)

View attachment 1464

View attachment 1465

View attachment 1467
My dad has one of these it has lots of power and was fun to take a spin on! He even drives on dirt roads sometimes.

Last edited:

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Bombardier make some amazing snow mobiles and watercraft, so no doubt they have the power. No disrespect, but that Can-Am looks like a hot mess. If I saw that in person I would have to ask myself why the rider didn't go ahead and buy a Goldwing or a car. :)

:D

BrianRosenthal

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

In my personal opinion, the Can-Am combines the worst features of a motorcycle with the worst features of a car, while the Elio combines the best of both! I imagine others would feel exactly the opposite....

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would NEVER go back to a two-wheeler. This ride is just too fun, safe and comfortable.

Good to hear from a Can-Am owner who is enjoying their purchase. I see a handful of them around Fort Huachuca from time to time. It's not for me, but to each his or her own.

Top Bottom