• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Car And Driver Article

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the Car and Driver article they say:

"The vehicle we inspected in Manhattan was a prototype, as was borne out when our colleagues at Road & Track drove it first and a fender came loose and ran itself under the front tire. Needless to say, we didn’t get a crack behind the steering wheel (which is sourced from the Chevrolet Camaro)."

Car and Driver make it sound like they were suppose to get to drive the Elio after Road and Track drove it. Note they say "our colleagues at Road & Track drove it first". Perhaps Car and Driver's turn was postponed. If they do get a chance to drive it later, I hope EM has the good since to use this opportunity to FIX IT!
The guy who did the talking during the R&T test works for Car & Driver and also submits stories to R&T. So, the two stories were from the same guy or team.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Reading the article, I thought the foul language was in poor taste and highly unlikely that came from Paul Elio's mouth. That aside, it did not seem overly negative. The negatives did not seem out of line, just not as cushioned as C&Ds.

The overall tone and writing of the article was not professional but seems to fit in with the blog style writing. I would not expect to see that in print, though.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The Elio isn't 800lbs overweight, the P5 is 400lbs overweight; At the same time they told about the weight, they were working on getting the pricing down about $800; so C&D got their numbers backasward.
And in every video, tour stop and whatever the event, I've never heard the language they reported that was said. I think that's the reporters loose interpretation of what he thought he heard.

I don't think that EM has said anything about the weight or price since that one mention.
800lbs is nutz and I personally don't think it's ever been that close to 800lbs overweight.
Another case of editorial freedom of the facts.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back in the day C/D used to represent the very best in automotive journalism - all the way back to its previous life as Sports Car Illustrated in the late '50's when I became a subscriber. In the past twenty years it has become a collection of hack writers working for a couple cents per word. The reputation for authority overlaid with a bit of snarky fun is long gone, and they are now depending on their online presence for clicks. How do you do that? Rather than tell a story in depth, make unsubstantiated claims that fly in the face of documented evidence. Make fun of what you don't understand, it plays better with the kids.

Online viewers, typical of millennials, don't read well, nor do they seek out a in-depth review of a product. They're products of an age in which anyone with the attention span of a guppy is considered a serious reader. To say C/D has seriously dumbed-down their content is an understatement. Where I've purchased many cars based on their recommendations, I think their Top Ten has gone over to the darkside - appealing more to the mouth-breathers than the true auto enthusiasts who can actually purchase a new car.

Top Bottom