• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Car Tipping

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Reaction score
OK, I will agree I hope the Elio competes as well as your smart car. At 70 MPH even the dummies died. This was difficult to watch and in reality me crashing into a cement barrier going 70 mph is called suicide. But, then My mother and I wear hit head on. I was traveling less than 10 mph and the drunk was topped at 50. Mother died 9 days later. It wasn't suicide.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, I will agree I hope the Elio competes as well as your smart car. At 70 MPH even the dummies died. This was difficult to watch and in reality me crashing into a cement barrier going 70 mph is called suicide. But, then My mother and I wear hit head on. I was traveling less than 10 mph and the drunk was topped at 50. Mother died 9 days later. It wasn't suicide.
Sorry to hear about your mother.. Hard to survive a crash at high speeds even if the car holds up your internal organs will not..

Ray

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your mother.. Hard to survive a crash at high speeds even if the car holds up your internal organs will not..

Ray
Yeah, It still is a bummer. I hate seeing or hearing car crashes. It throws me into panic sometimes. Last week it happened again when I was almost hit head on by a young man in a pickup truck. He was traveling way to fast and as he passed the school bus in front of me, he ran off the side of the road, swerved back almost clipped the back of the bus, went back off the road and swerved again at me! I had to pull off the road and cried. The young man almost killed maybe three people! Me and at least two of his passengers. It was 10 till 3 in the afternoon. They had just gotten out of school. Doubt they were drinking, just silly and acting young.

do

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I always thought it was like a look at me! car. You bought one to be noticed in it and to be different a bit more European maybe? I have driven one seemed ok to me. I didn't drive it extensively but it does serve the general theme of the Elio as a commuter car. Mileage ratings aside.

I liked the Fiat 500 more than the smart
I suspect that is a different Fiat 500 than the one I drove in the late 1950s. You are way too young to have driven one of those little tin cans. LOL :-) Z

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I suspect that is a different Fiat 500 than the one I drove in the late 1950s. You are way too young to have driven one of those little tin cans. LOL :) Z

I have driven one the old and the new one. When I was 20 or so I knew a big car collector guy he had one. I was a little thinner back then (29 now and a tad fatter) so I wasn't porky piging it as bad.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have driven one the old and the new one. When I was 20 or so I knew a big car collector guy he had one. I was a little thinner back then (29 now and a tad fatter) so I wasn't porky piging it as bad.
I think I may have seen one of the new ones today on my way to Roseburg to swim. I have to check the Fiat website to see if it is that. I know the one we had the doors opened towards the front rather the way doors open now. My parents bought it for my sister and I to use for all of our after school activities since they both worked. It was a little thing and I'm not sure the number was 500 but it seems like it was. After all, that was a couple of days ago. LOL :-) Z

dgruis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not in Any way critiquing the Smart car but I never understood the concept?? A 20K car that only gets roughly 34mpg? What was the practical (or Smart) reason for it? It looks interesting and I have never driven one but I just don't see what market they were targeting other than it could park in a smaller parking space. Again, it may be a great car I just didn't understand the concept.

The fortwo was NOT designed as an economy car, it was designed as an urban small parking car. In a smart fortwo you sit significantly higher than most (all) cars, almost SUV height. The smart roadster has a much lower profile, it was never brought to the U.S. The original smart fortwo was a 799cc diesel which gets about 60-70 mpg. They have sold the smart cdi in Canada, but you cannot not import and title one in the U.S., I tried. The only smart imported to the U.S. is the fortwo and the attraction is minimalist approach to transportation. We like traveling with much less weight which wears tires out much less, and mine has averaged 39 mpg over the last 90,000 miles. Best of all my two stall garage now holds two smarts and a Jeep.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/smart/roadster

Top Bottom