• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Car Tipping

dgruis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not in Any way critiquing the Smart car but I never understood the concept?? A 20K car that only gets roughly 34mpg? What was the practical (or Smart) reason for it? It looks interesting and I have never driven one but I just don't see what market they were targeting other than it could park in a smaller parking space. Again, it may be a great car I just didn't understand the concept.

Plus I bought my two convertibles used, each under 10,000 miles; 1 convertible for $10,500 and the other convertible for $10,700. We get Prius level mpg without the added battery cost, plus we now have two cheap Mercedes convertibles.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Plus I bought my two convertibles used, each under 10,000 miles; 1 convertible for $10,500 and the other convertible for $10,700. We get Prius level mpg without the added battery cost, plus we now have two cheap Mercedes convertibles.
The smart car was not in this country when I lived in San Francisco but I sure would have appreciated owning one then. Parking in that city is a nightmare. I used to envy the young men in their business suits and carrying their briefcases as they skateboarded through the city streets. The same for the hard hat, lunch box carrying guys. No parking problem for them. LOL :-) Z

Paladin4Elio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In defense of my two smart cars...The name was not intended to imply intelligence. Rather it was first created for an art show by engineers form Swatch (watch company) and Mercedes-Benz....Swatch Mercedes Art ...smart.

We smart owners love to share stories of people making fun of our 'stupid' cars, which many call 'death traps'. We also love to talk about how much extra weigh other vehicles carry for one person commutes. I assume many uninformed comments will be made about Elio. The following smart crash test sold me on smart, and I hope Elio can perform as well.

Maybe you can enlighten me (us). I have often wondered what kind of gas milage those things get? As you say, not toting around the weight of a 3000lb box like most cars, one would think the milage would be awesome, but posted specs are just not THAT impressive. Do they do much better than spec in real world driving? The price tag seems awefully steep, and you have to give up a lot of the typical car's convenience. What makes it worth it if not great mpg?

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My Elio will be protected the same way my smart is:

Tricked-Out-AR-440x270.jpg

Top Bottom