• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Carl Icahn Want Pep Boys To Exit The Auto Repair Business!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
it will come as a relief to some if Pep Boys isn't involved .... several members have expressed concerns based on poor experience in dealing with them .... I would be willing to buy parts from them but outside of an oil change or possibly having them install tires, I would hate to have to depend on our local Pep Boys for service .... if Pep Boys doesn't end up with the contract to provide service, some other outfit will ....

Aprilia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
it will come as a relief to some if Pep Boys isn't involved .... several members have expressed concerns based on poor experience in dealing with them .... I would be willing to buy parts from them but outside of an oil change or possibly having them install tires, I would hate to have to depend on our local Pep Boys for service .... if Pep Boys doesn't end up with the contract to provide service, some other outfit will ....

Thanks JEbar...I absolutely agree with your observations...

I'm sure Elio will solve the issue...

Reliable & trustworthy service is a must for any consumer product...especially automobiles, motorcycle, etc...

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Can't argue that. In my case the nearest Pep Boys is over 100 miles away so I need to figure out a plan B for service in any case.

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do not have any personal experience dealing with Pep Boys and there is at least ONE in the state of Arkansas. That being said, I do believe that Elio will make it mandatory to send at least one technician per store to Elio training so they are prepared to work on them. Wether it's Pep Boys or some one else I think they will have techs trained to work on Elios.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I never felt that there was any truly viable agreement between Elio Motors & Pep Boys...

Now with Icahn purchasing Pep Boys...I assume Elio will have to shop for a new solution for warranty repair work...

This might be a major headwind...
One blog by an unknown writer is worthless. If you read mainstream media outlets, most are pretty clear Icahn has not been breaking apart his automotive parts companies because he views them as a significant growth area and wants to pump up his portfolio, Berkshire Hathaway style (as opposed to Gagnam style :rolleyes:), I see no reason at this point to think he would not want a low cost, high volume, off the shelf parts company like Elio Motors in his backyard. Anyway, we've mulled this scenario over in previous threads fairly heavy.
:deadhorse:

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a trusted mechanic who has helped my PT cruiser achieve over 275,000 miles and counting, I have shown him the information on the Elio and he is anxious for me to get it, more than willing to service it, and says if he likes it he will buy one. I don't see service as being an issue, it's an internal combustion engine, people have been servicing them since before Henry Fords 1903 model T hit the road.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Please re-read the article in a more deliberate manner...

The author indicates there are approximate 800 total Pep Boys locations...but only 500 of them have service center's...the other 300 locations are exclusively retail & wholesale parts outlets...and do not offer service...

Their last 10-Q report indicates that the service centers are loss leaders...

I have been a Pep Boys (PBY) investor for the last 7 years...
I see what you mean,
I stand corrected.

Then it is somewhat misleading when Paul Elio talks about Pep Boys having 800 service centers for us. (I believe he has used the 800 number). In reality, it is only 500 service centers. This may make it even more difficult for some people to receive service.

Top Bottom