• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Chevrolet Electric

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ATVM loan can also apply to vehicles that demonstrate very high mileage. Anything that provides over 75 MPG meets the requirements, regardless of the technology used. Don't let the name fool you.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ATVM loan can also apply to vehicles that demonstrate very high mileage. Anything that provides over 75 MPG meets the requirements, regardless of the technology used. Don't let the name fool you.
Thanks Rob for your clarification. The 75 MPG requirement for a possible loan is overlooked by some folks. I think the Elio may be able to top the 75 ;)

stts

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Yes. Wait for the costs to come way down and then add it to the Elio. Will have to be one amazing battery pack to equal the range of the gas Elio!

Actually the battery would still be small since the vehical is so light and aerodynamic. I would be really happy with an electric Elio with a 100 mile range on full heat and AC. That battery would be so small compared to a Tesla that it would recharge in 10 minutes most anywhere. :)

Watashiwah

Elio Addict
Reaction score

"A rose is a rose...... " or "The proof is in the pudding." They can name the loan with whatever vogue terminology 'du jour' they want but the DOE ostensibly makes their decision on the advancement of technology. I don't need to remind anyone here that this 75 or 84 MPG or whatever, still has not been compelling enough to warrant the DOE to cut the check.

Back to the call of the big question: Is essentially covering and weatherizing a two seater motorcycle, stabilizing it with a third wheel (enlarging its footprint almost equal to a conventional car), while not adding any cargo room but maybe (simulated, so far) increasing fuel 20 to just maybe 35 percent*, the "Advanced Technology" the DOE is trying to stimulate? I would not be at all surprised if the DOE has a big circular file for anything submitted with spark plugs. Plus, 'off the shelf' even as a marketing ploy doesn't help the cause.

Only time will tell. I think the DOE loan always has, and always will be, not in Elio's wheelhouse (invoking the most obnoxious of the new vogue phrases 'du jour').

Paul needs to steer all effort towards big, deep, private pockets.

* A 'touring' motorcycle capable of two up, and pulling a trailer gets 45 to 60 MPG.

Last edited:

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"A rose is a rose...... " or "The proof is in the pudding." They can name the loan with whatever vogue terminology 'du jour' they want but the DOE ostensibly makes their decision on the advancement of technology. I don't need to remind anyone here that this 75 or 84 MPG or whatever, still has not been compelling enough to warrant the DOE to cut the check.
As far as I have heard, the best explanation of this is that EM has not yet demonstrated that they comply with all the terms of the loan. They already meet the technical requirements. There is no question about that.

Back to the call of the big question: Is essentially covering and weatherizing a two seater motorcycle, stabilizing it with a third wheel (enlarging its footprint almost equal to a conventional car), while not adding any cargo room but maybe (simulated, so far) increasing fuel 20 to just maybe 35 percent*, the "Advanced Technology" the DOE is trying to stimulate?
Of course it is. "... the wording on the program was modified to allow high-mileage three-wheelers..." Not to mention that EM has stated they were specifically invited to apply for the loan. Why would the DoE invite them to apply for the loan, knowing that they would never grant it? That's conspiracy theory territory.

I would not be at all surprised if the DOE has a big circular file for anything submitted with spark plugs.
This is demonstrably false. Ford got nearly $6 billion that was spent almost exclusively on ICE projects.

Ford
Ford Motor Company will receive its loans through 2011, using the funds to upgrade its engine plants in Dearborn, Michigan; Cleveland, Ohio; and Lima, Ohio, and to upgrade its transmission plants in Livonia, Michigan; Sterling Heights, Michigan; and Sharonville, Ohio. Ford will also upgrade its assembly plants in Chicago, Illinois; Louisville, Kentucky; Dearborn, Michigan; Wayne, Michigan; and Kansas City, Missouri, converting two of the truck factories into assembly plants for cars. In addition, the Ford loans will finance advances in traditional combustion engines and electrified vehicles and help raise the fuel efficiency of more than two dozen popular models. The V6 EcoBoost engine benefited from the loan, and is installed in many cars as well as over 500,000 F-150, saving 268 million gallons of gasoline by 2014.​

(Copied from Wikipedia. My emphasis....)

Nissan and Tesla got loans for EVs, but Fisker's was for a plug-in hybrid. Vehicle Production Group got $50M to produce wheelchair accessible Taxi Vans powered by a Ford V8.

The majority of the ATVM loan money, by far, has been given to companies for ICE-related projects. Have you done even basic research into this, or are you just triggering based on the program name?

Only time will tell. I think the DOE loan always has, and always will be, not in Elio's wheelhouse (invoking the most obnoxious of the new vogue phrases 'du jour').

Paul needs to steer all effort towards big, deep, private pockets.
You could be correct in this. The recent efforts toward defunding the ATVM loan program, as well as the fact that they haven't loaned anything to anyone in since 2011. The DoE's pace is that of a governmental bureaucratic glacier, not a corporate Gantt chart marching quickly toward bankruptcy. Multiple companies have gone out of business waiting for the DoE to even respond to their application. EM should definitely continue their application process, but not count on getting a single dollar from them.

Watashiwah

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rob, Thanks for all that info and updates, but the most important part is this:

as well as the fact that they haven't loaned anything to anyone in since 2011

What you finally get to at the end. Six years ago, and we are stagnant with any new technology. I reiterate everything I posted earlier.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think EM should eventually try an EV.
The E would make a GREAT EV. It would have to be redesigned (again) with a battery pack chassis and maybe a front trunk above a small electric motor.

That said, until/unless an ICE version hits the market, the EV version is simply another pipe dream.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Still want my Elio, but I'm having a great time NOT putting gas in my Volt !!!!
Last time I stopped at a gas station was December 2017 :D
I like running electric AND having the option to drive coast to coast without any range anxiety if I wish to :p
How often are you charging it? And how long does it take?

Top Bottom