• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Commitment Details

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I seem to remember that I had to physically be there in Ohio to sign.
What do people do who buy a vehicle from someone clear across the country...
When they can't travel to that state but instead have the vehicle transported to them?
About 15 years ago I sold my motorcycle, titled in Ohio, to someone who lived in New York via eBay. IIRC I took the title to a notary, signed it in front of them, they signed/stamped it, and I mailed the title to the buyer. There was no additional "bill of sale" or anything. Just a signed and notarized title.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
About 15 years ago I sold my motorcycle, titled in Ohio, to someone who lived in New York via eBay. IIRC I took the title to a notary, signed it in front of them, they signed/stamped it, and I mailed the title to the buyer. There was no additional "bill of sale" or anything. Just a signed and notarized title.
Key words --> "...to someone who lived in New York via eBay"
There's your Bill of Sales; was the money handled through PayPal? Bingo, more paper trail.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes. So, you think he had to take the PayPal receipt to the DMV (or whatever they call it in NY)? That hardly seems to be a secure method of proving transfer of ownership. He paid a bunch of money to some random gmail address via PayPal, and the transaction record has absolutely no details of why the transaction took place.

The two or so times I bought a used vehicle from a private party, I didn't need anything other than the signed and notarized title to get the vehicle transferred into my name.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. So, you think he had to take the PayPal receipt to the DMV (or whatever they call it in NY)? That hardly seems to be a secure method of proving transfer of ownership. He paid a bunch of money to some random gmail address via PayPal, and the transaction record has absolutely no details of why the transaction took place.

The two or so times I bought a used vehicle from a private party, I didn't need anything other than the signed and notarized title to get the vehicle transferred into my name.
Only if they needed a way to verify the amount paid.
That's part of what we have to go through here.
So it appears, it varies by state; which isn't surprising.

Top Bottom