• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Commuters

MrWhsprs

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Short answer: My commute is approximately 80 miles round trip.

Long answer: It depends on the route that I take, and there are different route possibilities due to there not being any really direct route from home to work. :-) The "fastest" route involving taking the tollway would be about 83 miles round trip, but poorer fuel economy due to higher speeds (plus tolls) make that a costly route to do regularly. The "shortest" route taking local roads gives about a 69 mile round trip, but lots of stops means it takes a lot longer time and is not very efficient in terms of fuel economy. I therefore usually take a route that gets me to a limited-access highway (not tollway) using moderate-speed roads with as few stops as possible, to optimize fuel efficiency while only taking slightly longer than the tollway. That route is approximately 80 miles round trip.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
It'll take a LONG time for your Elio to pay for itself on gas savings alone... :rolleyes:
If you're 5'11" it's 2,130 steps per mile, and so let's say you would save an average of 50miles per gallon car vs. Elio savings, so that would be around
106,500 steps and then the length of a typical commute, and add in replacement shoes and socks, and insoles and then ...........and the 8 ..... carry the
Yup it would take a very long time :becky:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cute, Ty. But it's kind of a matter of definition. I do have regular places I go, but I don't commute. Most of my mileage is bopping around within a 50-mile radius of my home. I also take semi frequent much longer trips. My actual commute is about 30 steps for my dining table after breakfast to my computer station in my office. But my driving pattern is around 200 miles a week or more to various musical rehearsals, photo shoots, doctor's appointments, and other meetings.

That has been greatly reduced from the days I did commute. But the trip miles have not decreased. So when I work out my total mileage, comparing the 23 miles a gallon my Subaru gets on average to 61 miles per gallon on average for the Elio, it's a no-brainer.

But the real savings aren't in gasoline for me. The real savings are in reduced purchase, maintenance, and insurance cost. A vehicle that cost $8,000 to buy is going to cost a whole lot less to insure than one which costs $30,000.

Even the liability insurance will be less expensive because a small light car cannot do as much damage has a monster SUV.

The maintenance costs are going to be lower, at least for a few years. In short, the Elio is very likely to be my very last car. And I think I'm going to make out like a bandit. This is regardless of the gasoline savings.

Oh yeah, even the depreciation is a better deal. Let's say the Elio depreciates at the same rate as the standard sedan. In three years the standard sedan has lost 40- 50% of its value, $15,000. Your Elio in the same time has lost at most $4,000. As I said at the outset of this post, gasoline is the least of the savings you realize with an Elio.

Last edited:

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cute. But it's kind of a matter of definition. I do have regular places I go, but I don't commute. Most of my mileage is bopping around within a 50-mile radius of my home.

More time for self-expression:
:D

Reactions: Ekh

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
More time for self-expression:
:D
When that first came out I was humming it everyday, it's a strange earwig to have. Gangnam Style
It caught on with a lot of people because it was so simple and I doubt anyone knew all the words.
I saw some PGA pro golfers during a major dancing that in front of a crowd, it had the people in the crowd cheering like crazy.

Thanks Kuda (dam, now I'm going to be singing this in my head for a week :p )

Top Bottom