• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Compass Or Trip Computer?

GaPawn

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Nearly all new vehicles today have a display for showing/computing: Average MPG, Current (second by second) MPG, Range, Miles Driven, Average MPH, along with other factoids such as Outside Temperature, Time, Date, etc.

With Elio's emphasis on being a high MPG vehicle, I would think such a device would be a given, but I have neither heard nor seen anything, to date, that would indicate the inclusion of this sort of indicator. I definitely don't consider it a "must have", based on the goal of keeping the base price to $6800. BUT, I would think they would want to include such a thing, if for no other reason than to give folks an easy way to brag to all their friends about how good the mileage is that they are getting, and how much $$$ they are saving at the pump (possibly another function of the MPG calculator...)!!!

Maybe even just a USB port on the dash to allow a phone app to handle the computation/display......???

Does anyone know if such a device is planned for the Elio?

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1. Since cost is a major factor in the Elio, I do not expect there to be any gauges beyond the minimum except maybe as an extra-cost option.

2. Since the Elio will get fantastic mileage regardless, you won't need a gauge. It's not a hybrid.

3. If the ECM is OBDII compliant (they said recently they haven't decided yet):

http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugee/
.php?a=RlVXXiY4OSFbTmJvYCpre2UmICs6OzouNDY5LTI%2BPyA%2BIy0mOicmNCY7LiMoNCc3Og%3D%3D&m=1307741768.jpg

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nearly all new vehicles today have a display for showing/computing: Average MPG, Current (second by second) MPG, Range, Miles Driven, Average MPH, along with other factoids such as Outside Temperature, Time, Date, etc.

With Elio's emphasis on being a high MPG vehicle, I would think such a device would be a given, but I have neither heard nor seen anything, to date, that would indicate the inclusion of this sort of indicator. I definitely don't consider it a "must have", based on the goal of keeping the base price to $6800. BUT, I would think they would want to include such a thing, if for no other reason than to give folks an easy way to brag to all their friends about how good the mileage is that they are getting, and how much $$$ they are saving at the pump (possibly another function of the MPG calculator...)!!!

Maybe even just a USB port on the dash to allow a phone app to handle the computation/display......???

Does anyone know if such a device is planned for the Elio?

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a honda insight, that gives the running mpg average, its too cool (at first) then, after a few fill-ups I know I never go below 40mpg in town, and very rarely (tailwind, 65 cruise control and economy setting) do i get 50. If they are true friends they'll believe you, if not, lie and tell them you get over 100mpg!!

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
dielk I think you may need to fix some stuff. I've got a new-to-me 150k CVT 2005 Insight I've had for two weeks and I'm getting over 60 MPG on my 40-mile round trip mixed-road commute. It's the first car I've owned that's gotten better than 18 MPG and I'm no "hypermiler" yet my one-way record so far is 67 MPG. This ain't flatlands either. You must have a gen-2 2010+ Insight?

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
it is indeed a 2012, you spoiled my day! , but for me it's a keeper, bought the mr2 (it's a divorced, retired teacher's Porche!) when i gave up 2 wheels, it rides and sounds like my ancient Sunbeam Alpine! But as soon as I get the elio, the mr2 is on the block- it's been a weekend car from day 1 2003 w/12k miles! and similar to the elio it doesn't use exotic parts (it's a mid-engine Camery!!)
I'm glad you get such great milage, for me I only do local driving, will keep the honda just incase I buy more than two bags of groceries!

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1. Since cost is a major factor in the Elio, I do not expect there to be any gauges beyond the minimum except maybe as an extra-cost option.

2. Since the Elio will get fantastic mileage regardless, you won't need a gauge. It's not a hybrid.

3. If the ECM is OBDII compliant (they said recently they haven't decided yet):

http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugee/
.php?a=RlVXXiY4OSFbTmJvYCpre2UmICs6OzouNDY5LTI%2BPyA%2BIy0mOicmNCY7LiMoNCc3Og%3D%3D&m=1307741768.jpg
For $99 it looks pretty clunky to me. For free I can note how much I put in the tank and the starting mileage, then fill it again and note the amount of gas to fill the tank and note the mileage. Subtract A from B and divide by the gallons required to fill. If you didn't flunk arithmetic in grade school you can do this in your head! Used to do it this way all the time. A 50 cent notebook will log your mileage for a year or more! Scan gauge my eye! ;)

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For $99 it looks pretty clunky to me. For free I can note how much I put in the tank and the starting mileage, then fill it again and note the amount of gas to fill the tank and note the mileage. Subtract A from B and divide by the gallons required to fill. If you didn't flunk arithmetic in grade school you can do this in your head! Used to do it this way all the time. A 50 cent notebook will log your mileage for a year or more! Scan gauge my eye! ;)
I used to try to do this but I keep forgetting to write down the information. I even forget to reset the tripometers. LOL :-) Z

Top Bottom