• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Contact Senator Demsey To Support Sb 503

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
About an hour ago Joel Sheltrown, Elio Motors VP for Govenment Affairs (jsheltrown(AT)eliomotors.com) posted this message on Facebook for MO residents:

Just got off the phone with Senator Schaaf office MO. It would help if we would call Senator Demsey (Majority Leader of the Senate) and ask that SB 503 be put on the agenda. (573) 751-1141 email: Tom.Dempsey@senate.mo.gov I called and emailed both. Thanks!
I sent an email today. Thanks for letting us know about this. :-) Z

KC_Cacti

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question I live on the kansas side of kc licensing and driving here wont be an issue but my wife works downtown on the mo side and wants to drive this to work, since we will be licensed in ks do I need to worry about the mo bill? It obviously needs to pass either way but does it affect me?

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since the requirement for having a cycle endorsement is also contained in 302.020 I'm surprised there was no attempt made to change that at the same time. Seems rather cumbersome to try going back and trying to revise the same article again later, Unless they just figured MO would never go for the licensing change so why not get what they could now and try for the rest some other time?

BriansElio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
To my knowledge we have not heard anything. :) Z

Status
Action: 2014-05-01 - Voted Do Pass S Transportation and Infrastructure Committee

I'm assuming that means it'll pass or has passed? The link provided earlier goes directly to the bill status that has extended information about the bill.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I have a question I live on the kansas side of kc licensing and driving here wont be an issue but my wife works downtown on the mo side and wants to drive this to work, since we will be licensed in ks do I need to worry about the mo bill? It obviously needs to pass either way but does it affect me?

KC, do a search through these threads on "traffic law", Goofyone gave a thorough post on traffic laws, licensing laws, etc. I won't even try to give a guess as to your situation, living in KS and driving to work in MO, meaning licensed in KS and wondering about traffic laws in MO.

KC_Cacti

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
KC, do a search through these threads on "traffic law", Goofyone gave a thorough post on traffic laws, licensing laws, etc. I won't even try to give a guess as to your situation, living in KS and driving to work in MO, meaning licensed in KS and wondering about traffic laws in MO.
I will do a search on that didnt think to do that. For the most part I should be good being in ks but I am concerned for sure about driving in MO.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I will do a search on that didnt think to do that. For the most part I should be good being in ks but I am concerned for sure about driving in MO.

Licensing and registration are nearly universally reciprocal across state lines so if the vehicle is legally registered and you can legally drive it in your home state then you are able to travel anywhere in the USA using you home state license and registration. If you are legal in KS you are also legal in MO.

This does not apply to traffic laws which include helmets as for these types of laws you are always subject to local laws.

This is confusing because we are lumping three different areas of the law into one discussion. There is a legal line separating how vehicles are operated, how vehicles are regulated, and how vehicle modifications are regulated. Laws concerning how vehicles should be operated (helmets and traffic laws) are always subject to local jurisdictional control. Laws about the regulation of vehicles (tax, tag, title, insurance, licensing) are always applied in the home jurisdiction. Vehicle modifications laws however sit in a legal grey area.

Helmets requirements, lane spitting, and lane sharing rules are all part of traffic law and you are always required to follow local traffic laws. These regulation are all related to the manner in which vehicles are operated.

Vehicle license plates, insurance requirements, and operator endorsement requirements are covered under licensing law and is reciprocal across jurisdictions. As long as you are legally entitled to operate the vehicle in your home jurisdiction then you are fine operating the vehicle in other jurisdictions no mater what he local licensing laws may be.

Permanent vehicle modifications are an interesting legal grey area. Generally as long as your modifications are legal in your home jurisdiction an officer will not ticket you however in many areas this is actually a matter of courtesy and not a legal requirement. This is because most laws concerning modifications do not make exceptions for out of jurisdiction vehicles so unless the jurisdiction has a law specifically exempting out of jurisdiction vehicles from such laws ALL vehicles are technically subject to the laws.

Top Bottom