• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Converting The Elio Engine To Run On Alcohol

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Jato bottles"....remember them well, absolute, constant, max, horsepower for around 13 sec, IIRR. I mounted 2 each side of a P5M marlin for a few years. (AO2)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
"Jato bottles"....remember them well, absolute, constant, max, horsepower for around 13 sec, IIRR. I mounted 2 each side of a P5M marlin for a few years. (AO2)
Yup; go watch "Fat Albert" take off for their departure (C-130 support plane for the Blue Angels) for show, they use 6 to 8 Jato bottles (3 or 4 per side). That very large plane basically jumps into the air in seconds all thanks to that 13 seconds of WAAAHHH WWHHHOOOOOOOOOOOO! !! !!

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yup; go watch "Fat Albert" take off for their departure (C-130 support plane for the Blue Angels) for show, they use 6 to 8 Jato bottles (3 or 4 per side). That very large plane basically jumps into the air in seconds all thanks to that 13 seconds of WAAAHHH WWHHHOOOOOOOOOOOO! !! !!
How do you keep them from blowing up on you? I'm thinking of the Mythbusters episode where they were testing the myth of the guy who fastened some Jatos to his sports car. The second one, I think, where they built a ramp in an attempt to get the car airborne. The car reached the ramp and the Jatos promptly exploded.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
How do you keep them from blowing up on you? I'm thinking of the Mythbusters episode where they were testing the myth of the guy who fastened some Jatos to his sports car. The second one, I think, where they built a ramp in an attempt to get the car airborne. The car reached the ramp and the Jatos promptly exploded.
The military has long time experience in the correct usage of JATO Rockets; Mythbusters not so much. They are designed for a purpose and when you go and use them outside of the parameters they were designed for you never know what you'll get. Mythbusters is also a "spectacular special effects TV show". They don't use things the way they were always intended.

As for what I said about "Fat Albert" from the Blue Angles; here you go:

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They are designed for a purpose and when you go and use them outside of the parameters they were designed for you never know what you'll get. ... They don't use things the way they were always intended.
Cool beans on the video. How many G's do the occupants pull when those things ignite?

And of course, as soon as I read about "not using things the way they were intended", I flashed on a favorite scene in a movie where a Marine, trapped by the bad guys at the edge of a building, has this snappy comeback that has come to epitomize the Marines in my mind. When the head of the arresting group told the Marine to give up, his plans failed, the Marine replied:
"I'm a Marine! We don't plan, we improvise!"
He then turned and jumped off the building, thus performing a very flashy BASE jump with a parachute he had secreted on his person.

Top Bottom