• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Converting The Elio Engine To Run On Alcohol

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that in the Mythbusters show, they had to construct their own rockets. Because they couldn't get the tried-and-true military grade JATOs.
That explains the comment they made in their third attempt, where they mentioned the rockets they were using were made by professionals. The third attempt was a charm, because they succeeded in disproving the myth. Instead of soaring over the desert to smash into the side of a mountain, the car just cartwheeled end over end across the desert floor.

DeltaMike

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And to continue (off topic but on an interesting tangent), civil Av has used JATO tho not necessarily by that term. The early Swearingen SW3 commuterliner had a single unit underbelly. My recollection is that it was made by Rocketdyne of VanNuys CA. I believe it provided a couple hundred pounds of thrust for maybe a minute or two. It was necessary to meet one-engine-inop climb gradient requirements because the early models were underpowered and had not anticipated the evolving FAA requirements of that type of operation. While that operation was at about 12,500 lbs, something ground-bound at 10% of that weight might be more exciting! The SW3 application was not regarded as inspiring by those who flew it (and hopefully never used in OEI conditions), it was only intended to relieve the underwear factor in the most desperate conditions rather than providing spectacular airshow or tactical performance. In time, the pain and expense of maintaining the rockets caused them to be replaced by Alcohol-Water injection for the turboprop engines.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Many years ago the Merlin Metro IV had provisions for a rocket motor built into the tail cone. Few operators had the rockets installed because of the expense. IIRC if the rocket assist was actually used there was a fairly serious special inspection of the aft pressure bulkhead had to be performed. Though there were a few occasions when it would have been handy to have. I once saw a Merlin Metroliner settle back onto the runway after gear retraction on takeoff in Memphis on a hot summer afternoon. They made it but ground off 6 inches of the ventral fin under the tail. I think the pilots seat cushions requiered a special inspection after that one.

Ray O

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Based on what little we know about the design and operation of the new Elio engine, would it be possible to convert it to run entirely using a 100% alcohol fuel?

I'm asking as a proto-prepper, someone who doesn't have the money (yet) but had all the information saved to be able to produce his own bio-diesel, or (if necessary) alcohol to use as fuel.

I understand that alcohol is highly corrosive when used as fuel, so what changes would have to be made to minimize the wear and tear on parts.
Lots of car run on alcohol but they are designee to do so from the build. I work around old car and just the 10% that is in gasoline hurts some of the parts like fuel pumps, full lines and filters. Alcohol cars run in both drag racers and Indy cars. Alcohol burns at a lower temperature so it would not get the same MPG.

Top Bottom