• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Corbin Motors Merlin

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Although my preference is an EV at $15K, I would be happy with either an EV or an ICE version.

If the Intermeccanica/Electrameccanica Custom Coach Builder's get their EMV17 to market, I would envision a convertible in their future lineup. I am a potential EMV17 customer.

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I guess if one is looking for a modern version of the Corbin Merlin, one can see similar ones already made.
bonning-roadster---a-1w.jpg

[Broken External Image]
among others that are out there.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The main issue with all of Corbin's three wheeler Sparrow, Merlin, and Raven designs and those other Corbin-like designs is that the odd styling seems geared to a niche market and handbuilt's high cost. The average car buyer would never accept the styling to justify mass production to bring that cost down. The EMV17 changes that with it's more refined look and would likely be accepted by a wider demographic. The fact that it's an EV single seater EV reduces market acceptance too, but I think they could sell enough units to justify mass production and be profitable.

I am also not aware of an enclosed three wheeler currently on the market.

Last edited:

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I, for one, would truly welcome a single-seat enclosed three-wheeled EV like the original Sparrow (although with updated styling, of course). My current commuting needs are all my driving myself to/from work and shopping. No long-distance trips or carrying a passenger. My personal back-of-the-envelope calculations indicate that I could rent a car for those times I needed the capacity and distance-capability of a 4-seater and still come out ahead financially (when calculating gas, oil, maintenance, and monthly loan payments). I strongly suspect that the original market for the Sparrow (2nd car for use of single person with 1st car reserved for family use) is still a VERY strong market. (Especially if you want an inexpensive car for your kid to drive to and from school, that doesn't let them pile in their mobile distraction units [i.e., friends].)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
companies marketing sub compact vehicles universally have to deal with safety concerns of the buying public .... EM realized this early on and made safety ratings a priority .... I can't help but wonder how much smaller a car can get and retain a high rating

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the Smart Fortwo is probably the limit of miniaturization, and it does that by going all-in on an egg-shaped design.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
companies marketing sub compact vehicles universally have to deal with safety concerns of the buying public .... EM realized this early on and made safety ratings a priority .... I can't help but wonder how much smaller a car can get and retain a high rating
They can't, it becomes limited to a niche where people don't care as much about the safety rating. Like those who are simply glad they are safer and more weather proof than 'other' motorcycles.

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score

It explains why the Fiat 500 and the Mini Cooper is larger than the original vehicles. With the added safety equipment and emission controls make it necessary to make a larger vehicle?

Top Bottom