• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Corbin Motors Merlin

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is also development of the Sparrow II.
sparrow2logo.png

sparrow2.jpg

They had a design for a four wheel vehicle that could was a pickup (micro pickup) and one for those who are in wheel chairs.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The other issue with the Sparrow other than the high price tag (therefore always a niche market) is the dedication to a tight package. That is to say a very narrow wheel track. Fine for an urban or city car. But forget it on the freeway. And if you don't feel comfortable on the freeway, that's a very small niche.

I yawn on anything not fully freeway drivable. Yes, you can do it, but it's not optimal for it.

Over the years, there has been a whole slew of City-Car failures because of their narrow niche market. These have all added to the expectation of failure for three wheeler makers in general. But really that's a total different product, and customer base, from something like the Elio.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The other issue with the Sparrow other than the high price tag (therefore always a niche market) is the dedication to a tight package. That is to say a very narrow wheel track. Fine for an urban or city car. But forget it on the freeway. And if you don't feel comfortable on the freeway, that's a very small niche.

I yawn on anything not fully freeway drivable. Yes, you can do it, but it's not optimal for it.

Over the years, there has been a whole slew of City-Car failures because of their narrow niche market. These have all added to the expectation of failure for three wheeler makers in general. But really that's a total different product, and customer base, from something like the Elio.

Confused. Are you saying the Sparrow is not good for highway? Please elaborate.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Confused. Are you saying the Sparrow is not good for highway? Please elaborate.
OK, you got me on being a little exaggerated. Simply, the wheelbase is too undersized for my taste. For safe running with all levels and mentalities of drivers I would not make it that narrow and short. There are plenty of people who would disagree with me. I concede, below some level it is a shades of gray judgment, rather than black and white.

And there are any number of Sparrow owners who felt perfectly fine driving on the freeway. I would not be one of those if I had one. I've seen (and been in) a few things that keeps me a bit serious about all that. Even the Reliant Robin owner here in Phoenix drives it on the AZ freeways at 65mph. I don't know how positive he feels about that.

Admittedly, you can always find someone that can't drive the safest car safely.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You make some very good points. I wonder many would say the same thing about the Elio?
Some have already expressed that concern. The Elio does look more stabile than the Sparrow along with it's anticipated 5 star safety rating. Unaware of the Sparrows safety rating.

Last edited:

EZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Corbin Raven

The VW Three Wheeler

the Peugot three wheeler

Harley has a patent on a three wheeler !

it will NEVER be for the "masses" ! NEVER !

using a "loop-hole" in the Federal Classifications creating three wheelers as MOTORCYCLES …thereby eliminating the requirement for safety testing, etc …then slithering through without helmets ..

tuff …

such a simple wonderful solution should be embraced by the Government and the people !

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You make some very good points. I wonder many would say the same thing about the Elio?
Yes, exactly center on the argument.
I'm/we're betting once driven by anyone, it will be considered plenty safe.
I have had my own 3wheeler once with about the same wheel width but worse roll-over estimation compared to the Elio. Most anyone would have felt fine driving it. Until then some felt a little insecure.
Comes with the territory.

Top Bottom