• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Crash Testing Datsun Vs Elio

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Airbags and anti-social brakes will make the Elio safer, that's for sure. I don't know how anti-lock brakes figure into that crash test though. It looks like a simple crash without brakes. Maybe there is a formula they use in addition to the telemetrics of the crash...

Either way, the Elio should be safer. (It better be)

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How do you guys think the Elio will do against the datsun.

Who cares? It's not competing with the Datsun.

The Elio will get at least four stars from the IIHS (and NHTSA if they can be talked into testing it). There's a good chance the Elio will get five stars. I doubt Elio will even bring it to market with less than 4 stars as cranks like Borrass, much of the mainstream media, and some members of this forum would be running around with their hair on fire screaming "UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED!!1!!11!".

Bilbo B

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Pretty sure brakes have nothing to do with crash test ratings. It ain't a matter of 'can you stop' but 'Can you survive if you can't'. If you can stop, then there's no crash to rate. Are Anti-Social brakes ones that squeal really loud every time they're applied?

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
People will still buy the Datsun. I think the Elio will rate ok on crash test should it be officially tested. Chinese cars(Brilliance BS6) have failed NCAP test just as bad as that Datsun.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Apples and oranges.

The datsun has no crush zones and collapsed upon itself. It has no airbags but as the article states they would have been rendered useless anyway because the car collapsed on itself so badly. Missing anti-lock brakes and stability control would likely mean a greater potential for an accident but in an accident you will die.

The elio on the other hand has stability control and anti lock brakes that should help you avoid an accident. If you are in an accident the 3 airbags and seat belts will protect you and actually be useful because the full roll cage and crumple zones will keep the elio from collapsing in on you.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I drove a Datsun years ago and loved the car. It hauled my young family all over the place. Left it with my little sister when I got transferred overseas and she crash tested it for me. She healed, the car was totaled in a 30mph collision. Back in the early 70's the insurance industry started lobbying for battering ram bumpers not for safety but repair costs. Companies like Volvo and Mercedes actually looked at making there products safer for the users. Cars and light trucks built prior to crash testing had little to no thought to survivability in a crash.

What is called a roll cage in a race car is actually an occupant survival cell. The concept is to keep you strapped in as the peripheral stuff gets ripped off dispersing energy. Dale Earnhardt brought us the Hans device and other similar systems. Most of this stuff is fairly new. At least in widespread use as it is today. The practice of putting the newest drivers in the least safe vehicle ( Our kids in used cars.) no longer looks so bright. building that protection into street cars you use without harnesses and a helmet is still a very new concept.

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/government-to-make-crash-tests-mandatory-for-cars-in-india-588

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
crash test ratings have to be taken within context .... bottom line, in a crash between two vehicles, the heavier vehicle usually comes out better ... if a 1,200 lb vehicle with a 5 star rating hits a 6,000 lb vehicle with a substantially lower rating, I'd rather be in the big rig .... an Elio with a 4 or 5 star rating will be infinitely safer than a standard motorcycle or tricycle but folks shouldn't develop a false air of invincibility

Jim

Top Bottom