• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Crosswind Performance?

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Out running errands as a gusty thunderstorm approached last week set me thinking about the Elio's performance in a sudden crosswind gust. I'm used to big SUVs and smaller minivans taking a quick hip feint into an adjacent lane, but will the Elio's long, slippery shape and single lightly-loaded rear tire cause it to tend to "weathervane" in a crosswind gust?

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Out running errands as a gusty thunderstorm approached last week set me thinking about the Elio's performance in a sudden crosswind gust. I'm used to big SUVs and smaller minivans taking a quick hip feint into an adjacent lane, but will the Elio's long, slippery shape and single lightly-loaded rear tire cause it to tend to "weathervane" in a crosswind gust?

Good question, Lil4X. Thinking that an aerodynamic body, such as the Elio, might be able to hold it's own if it is a "body in motion." But if it's sitting static in a strong wind, it will likely want to "weathervane."

Might have to tie them down at night, like we leave our airplanes at the airport. o_O

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That was sort of my thinking too, Music Man . . . once in motion at some moderate speed, the aerodynamic forces playing over the body (fuselage) would seem to want to keep it on a straight heading - depending upon on the force vector of the "apparent" wind. But then I've been surprised before. :confused:

You are correct. A 40 mph side wind or gust, will not counter effect a 70 mph head wind ( in regards to weather vane) more than you can counter steer out of. JMO

But I'm sure the closer the speeds are together the greater the chances are of getting turned. In a good gust, chances are the whole car will be pushed over into the :eek:on coming lane.

EM has stated this will not be an issue any more than with any other car.

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In western Kansas on windy days we make a game of dodging tumbleweeds and tilting semi-trailers. Thank goodness flying cows are just a movie-maker's myth.
The only time I have ever had cross wind problems is when I drove a VW Camper. All my other vehicles seemed to handle just fine in cross winds. I feel the low center of gravity of the Elio will help with this and if it doesn't then I should not be on the road anyway. :) Z

Last edited:

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The only time I have ever had cross wind problems is when I drove a VW Camper. All my other vehicles seemed to handle just fine in cross winds. I feel the low center of gravity of the Elio will help with this and if it doesn't then I should be on the road anyway. :) Z

My brother was really proud of his VW van until he got blown off an on ramp in Chicago and ended up on its side.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My brother was really proud of his VW van until he got blown off an on ramp in Chicago and ended up on its side.
That would do it. LOL I drove one along the Gulf Coast from Texas to Tallahassee, FL I think in 1970. By the time I stopped at night my arms and back ached so much I had trouble sleeping. I suspect the camper was somewhat heavier than the van because of the equipment in it. :) Z

Last edited:
Top Bottom