• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Crosswind Performance?

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've had variable experience with different vehicle shapes, and it's not all aerodynamics, it's often steering. My K-20 Suburbans at nearly three tons suspended on cart springs were a little squirrlier than I would have thought, while my lightweight minimalist minivan tracks pretty true in a crosswind gust. My RX's drove like they were on rails, although the body might roll a tiny bit thanks to their softer suspensions. Kinda scary the first time it happens, but although you tip a bit, your course never changes - the things run like they're on rails. Our family had a motorhome that used to heel like a sailboat in a gale, but after adding "steering stabilizers" (essentially a set of heavy centering springs) to the steering arms, it became much more docile.

It's that big slab side IMHO, that's the root of the problem. The smaller target your profile presents to a gust, the lesser the effect that crosswinds have. Weight, thus inertia, plays a role as well. It's been a few years since I last drove a typical sedan, but neither my Civic nor several Buick company cars were much affected by crosswinds. The Buicks would gently float toward the downwind side, as the body rolled a bit, but the Civic would maintain course - even if it felt like you had been sideswiped. Although you were not in any real danger, meeting an 18-wheeler at speed on a narrow 2-lane could induce a religious experience.

An Elio, it would seem, should be relatively stable, except for its light weight that's going to make it respond more aggressively to sudden changes in wind direction as the result of low inertia . . . a leaf responds more readily in a gale than a brick. Fortunately, by presenting a lower profile, I would think in most cases the response should be easily controllable. It's largely physics, but the "pucker factor" can be suppressed by engineering the steering geometry properly so that steering corrections are unnecessary. I'm sure that's been or is being addressed at EM. It's not enough to BE safe in a crosswind, you want to FEEL safe as well.

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are correct. A 40 mph side wind or gust, will not counter effect a 70 mph head wind ( in regards to weather vane) more than you can counter steer out of. JMO

But I'm sure the closer the speeds are together the greater the chances are of getting turned. In a good gust, chances are the whole car will be pushed over into the :eek:on coming lane.

EM has stated this will not be an issue any more than with any other car.

Thank you EM for the valid one sentence statement.
Terrence Bernard

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One factor that's not been mentioned is ground clearance affecting how much effect side gusts have on vehicles.

The more ground clearance, the more wind under the vehicle.
The more wind pressure under the vehicle, the more vehicle weight lifted.
The more weight lifted, the easier it is for the wind to push it sideways...

I was running with a couple of other trucks in Wyoming on a day with 40-60mph gusts.
We had waited the worst of the day out at a rest stop and started out slowly when it died down.
We still got slammed with a couple of good ones.
The trailer in front of me barely moved sideways at all, but I saw all 8 wheels come almost a foot off the ground.

I think the Elio only has about 5 1/2" of ground clearance. That's not much and probably will help to keep it on it's path.

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good posts, all.

We in Portland area are especially interested due the "Gorge Gale" effect where winds are funneled down the Columbia River Gorge. There are signs on all the bridges warning of gale winds. Semis have been turned over on a clear day from Gorge Gales alone.

Here in the People's Republik of Maryland we have the Bay Bridge that closes on occasion due to gusty winds. I've been back and forth across that bridge on a windy day on my motorcycle and had the living sh*t scared out of me. Bottom line - there are conditions that will keep even heavy semi trucks off the road. So unless you're in an Abrams tank...(shrug).

Top Bottom