• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Dangers Ahead??

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1. I don't imagine the CEOs of Toyota, Honda, G.M. Shell, exxon, etc. will be present as the elios roll off the line, AAMOF, One court injuction claiming some infrigment, some union conflict, parts company, Pep Boys get bought by BMW could bring the whole process to a grinding halt. It is in their best interest that the elio never makes a car.
2 Flash-News Report
M.C. accident kills driver- no big news story basically no reaction hardly worth a mention.

jump off a cliff, jumping out an airplane, and die- small one time story too.

But how will the public/press /tv react when there is the first elio death on the road, all that great press goe's south?
It becomes a story no longer an accident - pick the headline- "Unsafe at anyspeed", "Was there enough government oversite in turning this unproven technology" etc. etc. "How were they allowed to Drive a MC without a helmet"- the press- "encourged" by lobbyists, will now go out of their way to manipulate the media.
Truth doesn't enter into this- it's perception

Example- everyone remembers the woman who sued Mc D because her coffee was too hot and burned herself
I and probably most folks thought just another nut trying to squeeze $. But it wasn't true -Confirmed Documentry of the story (netflix) shows very sever burns requiring long hospital stays and mulitpal skin grafts. Perception and spin is everything.

I'm just tossing it out, I want my cars and EM to be a major contributor/pioneer to the "new car industry", but there just might be some bumps........

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1. I don't imagine the CEOs of Toyota, Honda, G.M. Shell, exxon, etc. will be present as the elios roll off the line, AAMOF, One court injuction claiming some infrigment, some union conflict, parts company, Pep Boys get bought by BMW could bring the whole process to a grinding halt. It is in their best interest that the elio never makes a car.
2 Flash-News Report
M.C. accident kills driver- no big news story basically no reaction hardly worth a mention.

But how will the public/press /tv react when there is the first elio death on the road, all that great press goe's south?
It becomes a story no longer an accident - pick the headline- "Unsafe at anyspeed", "Was there enough government oversite in turning this unproven technology" etc. etc. "How were they allowed to Drive a MC without a helmet"- the press- "encourged" by lobbyists, will now go out of their way to manipulate the media.

Example- everyone remembers the woman who sued Mc D because her coffee was too hot and burned herself
I and probably most folks thought just another nut trying to squeeze $. But it wasn't true -Confirmed Documentry of the story (netflix) shows very sever burns requiring long hospital stays and mulitpal skin grafts. Perception and spin is everything.

I'm just tossing it out, I want my cars and EM to be a major contributor/pioneer to the "new car industry", but there just might be some bumps........
Ford, for one, may REALLY want Elio to succeed. They won't be selling into a market that is mostly people who are buying to stay cheap or replacing really old cars. If Elio can sell their carbon credits, Ford may be first in line. It's going to be hard on manufacturers who produce trucks to meet the ever tightening standards. I can see a partnership of sorts since if Ford is buying the credits, they'll want Elio to sell a bunch of vehicles to offset all those highly profitable trucks.

MASCMAN

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I know exactly what you are saying dielk and was thinking the same thing. The media will be all over that first accident like a fly on $#!+

I am known as a rider at work so everyone feels the need to tell me about any motorcycle accident they hear about...that is how it will be with the Elio too.

I think that as a rider though, I know what to expect from this "car". A good biker develops a different survival extinct than most car drivers...you have to if you are going to expose youself to all those idiots driving much bigger hunks of steel!

I don't ride scared, because if you are scared, you shouldn't be out there, I just ride knowing that I will have to keep myself out of situations that could turn out ugly. This could mean gunning it an getting away from a pack of cars, or slowing down at places that YOU have the right of way BUT people will try and shoot out in front of you...basically, I don' ride my bike the same way I drive my truck!

I know that they want the Elio to be a "car" for everyone but I wonder if everyone is realistic about what the Elio is...which is why I personally like it to be considered a cycle.

I hope everyone understands the point im trying to make...

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why even bother bring this up? It is a cycle with some added weather and safety protection as minimal as it is. When potential owners see the Elio up close they will recognize it for what is and feel safe driving it or not as with any other compact mode of transportation. I wouldn't ride a MC if it was the only transportation left on the planet..........wait a minute............o.k. an enclosed cabin 2 or 3 wheel MC.

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With the rollcage design, the airbags, and the weight - this will probably be a pretty safe little vehicle.
A light vehicle gets knocked out of the way and bounces (think indy car) - a heavy car will use its momentum to crush itself.
That's not to say I think this will be as safe as my regular car, but it's going to be miles ahead of any bike and possibly some other small cars.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
2 Flash-News Report

Sorry to rain on your parade, dielk, but: what if, what if, WHAT IF. . . . . And the "whatif's" can go on forever.

How many folks die in airplanes, automobiles, on bicycles, in swimming pools. . . . How many people die, period, of ALL causes each day, week, year?

Stuff happens, and the world go on and we STILL buy, and use products.

How many birth control products have failed over the years do you recon have happened, and do Ya see any less. . . . . .

Guess Ya get my drift.

YES, I agree with you, someone will have to one day die in an Elio crash. . . . , but it will NOT STOP THE PRODUCTION OF THE CAR????? NO, think NOT!

Sorry.

Last edited:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to rain on your parade, dielk, but: what if, what if, WHAT IF. . . . . And the "whatif's" can go on forever.

How many folks die in airplanes, automobiles, on bicycles, in swimming pools. . . . How many people die, period, of ALL causes each day, week, year?

Stuff happens, and the world go on and we STILL buy, and use products.

How many birth control products have failed over the years do you recon have happened, and do Ya see any less. . . . . .

Guess Ya get my drift.

YES, I agree with you, someone will have to one day die in an Elio crash. . . . , but it will NOT STOP THE PRODUCTION OF THE CAR!

Sorry.
thay's exactly my point- BUT how we die can make headlines, do people stop flying, swimming, biking 'cause of an accident- not, do people buy huge cars to "protect" themselves yes. I'm just saying I hopewe don't get bad press specifically regarding this new hybrid.
while I'm at it, have been on bikes for 50+yrs, and learned early on, not to ride down the middle of the lane- oil, crap, avoidance, ya know how ya move a car over a little to avoid a (fill in) we are going to have to learn we don't have that wiggle room that a bike or 4wheel car has- I think the first reaction will be to pick up our feet.!! lol
some really great points have been generated, and we all learn by sharing, my thanks to those who keep it objective

Top Bottom