• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Dangers Ahead??

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why even bother bring this up? It is a cycle with some added weather and safety protection as minimal as it is. When potential owners see the Elio up close they will recognize it for what is and feel safe driving it or not as with any other compact mode of transportation. I wouldn't ride a MC if it was the only transportation left on the planet..........wait a minute............o.k. an enclosed cabin 2 or 3 wheel MC.

severly limit sales if (the collective we) call it a motorcycle. EM is very open about, but they hope (I think), by the time they fill the reservations, State MV, insurance companies, adopt a new catagory. good point don't forget the a.c. !!

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know exactly what you are saying dielk and was thinking the same thing. The media will be all over that first accident like a fly on $#!+

I am known as a rider at work so everyone feels the need to tell me about any motorcycle accident they hear about...that is how it will be with the Elio too.

I think that as a rider though, I know what to expect from this "car". A good biker develops a different survival extinct than most car drivers...you have to if you are going to expose youself to all those idiots driving much bigger hunks of steel!

I don't ride scared, because if you are scared, you shouldn't be out there, I just ride knowing that I will have to keep myself out of situations that could turn out ugly. This could mean gunning it an getting away from a pack of cars, or slowing down at places that YOU have the right of way BUT people will try and shoot out in front of you...basically, I don' ride my bike the same way I drive my truck!

I know that they want the Elio to be a "car" for everyone but I wonder if everyone is realistic about what the Elio is...which is why I personally like it to be considered a cycle.

I hope everyone understands the point im trying to make...

fully understand, and agree completely

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
thay's exactly my point- BUT how we die can make headlines, do people stop flying, swimming, biking 'cause of an accident- not, do people buy huge cars to "protect" themselves yes. I'm just saying I hopewe don't get bad press specifically regarding this new hybrid.
while I'm at it, have been on bikes for 50+yrs, and learned early on, not to ride down the middle of the lane- oil, crap, avoidance, ya know how ya move a car over a little to avoid a (fill in) we are going to have to learn we don't have that wiggle room that a bike or 4wheel car has- I think the first reaction will be to pick up our feet.!! lol
some really great points have been generated, and we all learn by sharing, my thanks to those who keep it objective
But. . . . ARE they protected by the "huge" Cars?

Read the papers and follow the news. . . . . EVERYTHING in this world can and does kill. . . . EVEN "huge" SUV's and 18 wheelers.

Unless you have an inside line with the good Lord. . . EVEN YOU, will one day die. It IS what happens.

DO YOU SEE ANY LESS SUV's or 18 wheelers on the road because someone died in a crash? Or people refusing to buy them. . . . , or have you seen the closely of General Motors, or Mack Trucks?

Sorry man, but you are beating a dead horse here. . . . . , and I am wasting my time trying to talk with someone who. . . . . .

Well, I promised Goofy, so I will let someone else on this forum take this up with you.

Have a great day, and OH. . . . . . , don't choke and die on that beer, or soda, We may ALL STOP BUYING THEM.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Anyone miss life in the 60's?
About the only worry back then was if we had $5.00 for the weekend.
Now days everyone is under a microscope.
You can bet there are people out there right now figuring out ways to sue the Elio owner for something.

if you remember the '60's you were'nt there, lol

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know exactly what you are saying dielk and was thinking the same thing. The media will be all over that first accident like a fly on $#!+

I am known as a rider at work so everyone feels the need to tell me about any motorcycle accident they hear about...that is how it will be with the Elio too.

I think that as a rider though, I know what to expect from this "car". A good biker develops a different survival extinct than most car drivers...you have to if you are going to expose youself to all those idiots driving much bigger hunks of steel!

I don't ride scared, because if you are scared, you shouldn't be out there, I just ride knowing that I will have to keep myself out of situations that could turn out ugly. This could mean gunning it an getting away from a pack of cars, or slowing down at places that YOU have the right of way BUT people will try and shoot out in front of you...basically, I don' ride my bike the same way I drive my truck!

I know that they want the Elio to be a "car" for everyone but I wonder if everyone is realistic about what the Elio is...which is why I personally like it to be considered a cycle.

I hope everyone understands the point im trying to make...

You are SPOT ON, MASCMAN. . . . . . And I completely agree with EVERY word!

I have ridden 1000's of miles, cross country on the open road with vehicles of all sizes. . . . , on my road bicycle, and I don't have some of the options that you do on your motorcycle, but like you, folks on bicycles have a very different "mind set" when on the road, in traffic. Ya have to have, if Ya wanna sleep in your own bed at night after a long day in the saddle.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But. . . . ARE they protected by the "huge" Cars?

Read the papers and follow the news. . . . . EVERYTHING in this world can and does kill. . . . EVEN "huge" SUV's and 18 wheelers.

Unless you have an inside line with the good Lord. . . EVEN YOU, will one day die. It IS what happens.

DO YOU SEE ANY LESS SUV's or 18 wheelers on the road because someone died in a crash? Or people refusing to buy them. . . . , or have you seen the closely of General Motors, or Mack Trucks?

Sorry man, but you are beating a dead horse here. . . . . , and I am wasting my time trying to talk with someone who. . . . . .

Well, I promised Goofy, so I will let someone else on this forum take this up with you.

Have a great day, and OH. . . . . . , don't choke and die on that beer, or soda, We may ALL STOP BUYING THEM.

sorry- the point I was trying to make was how a death of a driver in a ELIO specifically will be perceived/publized. Did I know I would be slammed by some for this post-sure, and thanks for your point of view- lets agree to diagree. BTW I can't wait to get mine- all in 1k.One of my color options will be which, on the human light spectrum, will most easily be seen by other drivers- thinking the green

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
sorry- the point I was trying to make was how a death of a driver in a ELIO specifically will be perceived/publized. Did I know I would be slammed by some for this post-sure, and thanks for your point of view- lets agree to diagree. BTW I can't wait to get mine- all in 1k.One of my color options will be which, on the human light spectrum, will most easily be seen by other drivers- thinking the green
Thanks for the "lively" debate, dielk. I think that's part of the reason we are on this forum. I've enjoy our discussion and look forward to visiting with you more as we move down this long road. :)

And yes Sir, we CAN agree to disagree, and STILL walk away friends, CLOSER friends, at the end of the day.

I do see your point; there ARE many crazies out there that are eager to sue someone, for anything, but we will survive, dielk.

Love Ya man. . . . . And may God Bless you and yours!

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
i don't know if it has been stated somewhere else in the forum or not, about the difference between the mc, trike, 3 wheel vehicle and car should be addressed. don't know how many states have gotten on board with this but fl recently enacted new dmv regs to include a 3 wheel vehicle, that is not a converted mc to a trike. it is seperate from cars but has much of the same requirements for safety components and devices that is required for cars. the question is wheather elio legal department is addressing each states unique rules pertaining to 3 wheel vehicles that are in no way a mc but yet being manufactured to be sold as a motorcycle under federal regulations. if the elio bill of sale says mc, it cannot be regeistered in fl as a trike, since it never was a mc to begin with and cannot be registered as a 3 wheel vehicle, since it was manufactured as a mc. hate to sound negative but this could be a problem for future fl owners. maybe other states too.

Top Bottom