• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Dash Camera

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
OK, so now I'm thinking about a dash camera .... I'm looking for one that can be easily transferred from vehicle to another vehicle .... recommendations would be appreciated :

"A woman in San Diego learned the value of recording everything that happens on the road this weekend when a man tried to scam her while in traffic.

Tom, who didn't give WKBW Buffalo his last name, told the news station he mounted a dashboard camera to his wife's SUV after a near miss earlier this year. The camera was rolling Sunday afternoon when a sedan ahead of her SUV suddenly stopped 20 feet from a stop sign in North Park, California. She slammed on the brakes, stopping just short of hitting the sedan.

The driver, however, got out of his car and started berating the woman for rear-ending his car. He was so aggressive she drove away, fearing for her and her children's safety. Later she called the police, and found out the other driver had contacted them as well. Tom's wife was surprised to learn the other car had a damaged bumper and was blaming her. The two exchanged insurance information, despite the lack of damage to the SUV.

When police told the driver of the sedan that there was a recording of the incident he seemingly disappeared. Tom's theory is that the man was running a scam. "So I'm speculating because he realizes he got rear ended or something happened, and how he wants to get paid for it and we were going to be the victims," Tom told WKBW.

This story clearly illustrates why everyone should consider investing in dashboard-mounted cameras for their cars. Russian drivers have known the value of dashboard cameras for years. Insurance fraud is rife in Russia, and certainly happens on American roads as well. Dash cams have already helped driver's here in the states, whether its catching a dealership employee behaving badly, or a cop threatening drivers during a traffic stop."

taken from this link

R

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I bought one that replaces you rear view mirror..had so many features...just wanted to test and play around with at first.... I like it and might just buy another to install in the wife's car. The one I got was had every feature one needs or does not need. Wifi-gps-Bluetooth-media player-rear camera, etc. It records on a micro SD card. Since it is built into the rear view mirror, it does not attract as much attention for thieves and less clutter that blocks the view for my small winshield

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, so now I'm thinking about a dash camera .... I'm looking for one that can be easily transferred from vehicle to another vehicle .... recommendations would be appreciated :

"A woman in San Diego learned the value of recording everything that happens on the road this weekend when a man tried to scam her while in traffic.

Tom, who didn't give WKBW Buffalo his last name, told the news station he mounted a dashboard camera to his wife's SUV after a near miss earlier this year. The camera was rolling Sunday afternoon when a sedan ahead of her SUV suddenly stopped 20 feet from a stop sign in North Park, California. She slammed on the brakes, stopping just short of hitting the sedan.

The driver, however, got out of his car and started berating the woman for rear-ending his car. He was so aggressive she drove away, fearing for her and her children's safety. Later she called the police, and found out the other driver had contacted them as well. Tom's wife was surprised to learn the other car had a damaged bumper and was blaming her. The two exchanged insurance information, despite the lack of damage to the SUV.

When police told the driver of the sedan that there was a recording of the incident he seemingly disappeared. Tom's theory is that the man was running a scam. "So I'm speculating because he realizes he got rear ended or something happened, and how he wants to get paid for it and we were going to be the victims," Tom told WKBW.

This story clearly illustrates why everyone should consider investing in dashboard-mounted cameras for their cars. Russian drivers have known the value of dashboard cameras for years. Insurance fraud is rife in Russia, and certainly happens on American roads as well. Dash cams have already helped driver's here in the states, whether its catching a dealership employee behaving badly, or a cop threatening drivers during a traffic stop."

taken from this link

Yes! I started looking at dash cams about two weeks ago after talking with a truck driver. He was telling me about a dash cam video that he made, and posted on youtube that went "viral" and how he gets a bit of advertising money from it. He said he won't get rich, but a few hundred bucks a month and he considers it "free money". He said the real "save" happened when a woman ran a red light and he t-boned her with his Semi.He said that, she jumped out of her car and was yelling, " He tried to kill me!" When the officer arrived, he got her side of the story first. The officer then climbed up on the truck and ask for "his" side of the story. He said, "Would you like to see the video?" When the officer went back to tell the woman that "the other driver has a video of the accident", her story changed. She admitted that she probably wasn't paying enough attention & ran the light.
He said the dash cam saved his bacon.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have been using one for years, now I wont drive without it. It has caught many near misses that if they had turned into disasters I could have great evidence in court, not to mention road rage incidents and traffic harassments.
Most available are Chinese imports, but the Russian G1W has a Chinese knockoff that is a good value and well worth the price. I tried many before and after the G1W, nothing comes close in the under $125 price range.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is what I have - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FONBG1A?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

There are pirated versions on the market so use a trusted supplier where you can exchange it. Main complaint w/ this is the 1394 connector is loose in the socket where it connects to the camera - use pliers to gently squeeze the connector - fixed.
It uses a removable class 10 32G or 64G micro-SD card (NOT INCLUDED), it will recycle movies on this card essentially forever, but I have found it lasts four or five months before I have to remove it and plug it into my PC and erase it to start over - my research indicates this is due to the G force option that locks the video from being recorded over in a crash. Well, some potholes around here activate this feature by accident, so eventually many videos become locked and erasure is needed. I can adjust the sensitivity down, but I leave it alone. It glitches every once in a while, but hey, a reset and I am back in business. I have been using it 3 years through all weather, subzero to 130 plus, no issues, although the suction cup may fall off the window in very hot weather.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been using a Go Pro Hero3 for 7 months and it takes fantastic pictures.
Cost was $199.00 + $49.00 for the suction cup windshield mount.
I have already had 3 close calls, and have them saved.
The video's are big, but what would you expect filming for 2.5 hours.
Batteries are good for about 3 hours (I carry 2 spares on long trips) and it has a 64GB micro SDHC card in it ($24).
I tried 5 or 6 cheap ones before it and never had any luck with them.
I will swear by the Go Pro as one of the best; the feature set is second to none.
It does have WiFi, plus a bunch of others
www.gopro.com

Top Bottom