• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Dash Camera

ICret

Elio Fan
Reaction score
You may want to look at the camera that securitysystems.com has. The web site has allot of information and video samples. They have two versions, 1280 X 720 and 1920 X 1080. Very high quality picture, very easy to use, and a life time warranty. If it ever fails, they replace it.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What I like about mine is when plugged into the lighter socket, it comes on when the car is started and shuts off when I turn off the key. No batteries and I dont ever have to even think about it. It can be portable like a GoPro , but the internal batteries are generally weak, so an hour or so is all I get outside of the car. I suppose I could replace them, but I rarely use the portable feature. I can also use it as a car alarm as it will detect motion and record automatically as well, so you can see who bumped your car in the parking lot.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
What I like about mine is when plugged into the lighter socket, it comes on when the car is started and shuts off when I turn off the key. No batteries and I dont ever have to even think about it. It can be portable like a GoPro , but the internal batteries are generally weak, so an hour or so is all I get outside of the car. I suppose I could replace them, but I rarely use the portable feature. I can also use it as a car alarm as it will detect motion and record automatically as well, so you can see who bumped your car in the parking lot.
JEBar mentioned that he wanted to be able to move it to different vehicles; I was doing the same, and will do so in the future; that was one of the main reasons I went with the Go Pro.
Go Pro also makes a new base model for $129.00 Picture quality is very good, the only reason I didn't use it was because it doesn't have the Wi-Fi feature. The Wi-Fi works beautifully, you can have your phone or a tablet and see real time what the camera is watching. That comes in handy when you want to watch an area for kids / animals / etc.
Just the overall versatility and ruggedness of it is hard to match.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Here is what I have - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FONBG1A?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

There are pirated versions on the market so use a trusted supplier where you can exchange it. Main complaint w/ this is the 1394 connector is loose in the socket where it connects to the camera - use pliers to gently squeeze the connector - fixed.
It uses a removable class 10 32G or 64G micro-SD card (NOT INCLUDED), it will recycle movies on this card essentially forever, but I have found it lasts four or five months before I have to remove it and plug it into my PC and erase it to start over - my research indicates this is due to the G force option that locks the video from being recorded over in a crash. Well, some potholes around here activate this feature by accident, so eventually many videos become locked and erasure is needed. I can adjust the sensitivity down, but I leave it alone. It glitches every once in a while, but hey, a reset and I am back in business. I have been using it 3 years through all weather, subzero to 130 plus, no issues, although the suction cup may fall off the window in very hot weather.

its price has really been reduced (see link above) so I ordered one ... after doing a bunch of reading, I found that it works best with a 4 or 6 speed SD mini card.... the current generation cards are speed 10 and the best place I could find a 32 GB 4 speed card is on Amazon .... both should be here day after tomorrow .... if this works out, Christmas gifts for the kids comes to mind ..
smile.gif

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
its price has really been reduced (see link above) so I ordered one ... after doing a bunch of reading, I found that it works best with a 4 or 6 speed SD mini card.... the current generation cards are speed 10 and the best place I could find a 32 GB 4 speed card is on Amazon .... both should be here day after tomorrow .... if this works out, Christmas gifts for the kids comes to mind ..
smile.gif

This is different but cool:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
cool indeed .... our daughter's new Camaro has a similar display, I have no clue how many functions it has .... many of these features may well be on EM' Skyz system .... right now I'm interested in just a dash camera but down the line who knows

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
smile.gif
If it does end up working well for you, you might want to get this model as a backup or for the gifts.
It's made by the same company you just bought; actually, this is probably the reason the one you bought went down in price; this is the replacement for it. The 2 major differences are it has GPS and it has a much better lens with a wider angle viewing area.
Dash Cam by Black Box <--link

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wish GoPro was serious about making a real dashcam, as I am sure the quality would be more predictable, but so far they seem to be avoiding this market, even though it is huge in Europe, maybe because they cannot compete on price, but I would gladly pay more for a high quality unit.
There are some real expensive excellent units out there, just a bit out of my price range though, they seem to be targeted at big trucks mostly.
@JEBar - test it first before giving as a gift, just sayin'.
I paid about $80 for mine a few years ago, I see the price is now half that. At that rate they are practically disposable. I think the SD cards will cost you almost as much as the camera, at least my deercam uses the same micro card.

Top Bottom