• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Dastardly Destructive And Down Right Hateful

userexec

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Hey, Lilly May, I don't think it was all in fun either -- and I suspect EM thinks it sucks, too. What it does suggest is that they need to strengthen their web security AND need to take things like their "expression of interest" in the A+ crowd funding campaign with some doubt ... and is probably why the had the progress bar removed. It's a depressing and frightening thought that there are people out there so in love with their own power as hackers that they risk destroying something of enormous potential value to the nation. There are times I'm glad I'm getting on in years, because I do not like where the "me-llennials" are going.
The progress bar was removed for other reasons, but I agree the expression of interest is just asking for trouble. With no requirement to put down a valid credit card in the person's own name, and no meaningful identity verification that I can see, it's putting a lot of faith in random people on the internet. You just have to hope that the good outnumber the bad.

I've run a few promotions that included online voting without identity verification, and I can assure you this isn't unique to EM. There is ALWAYS some **** out there who has nothing better to do.

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sooooo...

what is the solution. I think since the cheaters wanted it white, Elio should do exactly the opposite and paint it black :).

Script kiddies suck. The behavior is like that of the annoying kid wanting any sort of attention to be seen and heard.

The little punks find the code online somewhere or buy it from some more experienced script writer just to be a nuisance.

Used to be the same way in instant messaging programs like yahoo chat. The little dorks would push code to your IM box that would flood it data and cause it to shut down the application.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sooooo...

what is the solution. I think since the cheaters wanted it white, Elio should do exactly the opposite and paint it black :).

Script kiddies suck. The behavior is like that of the annoying kid wanting any sort of attention to be seen and heard.

The little punks find the code online somewhere or buy it from some more experienced script writer just to be a nuisance.

Used to be the same way in instant messaging programs like yahoo chat. The little dorks would push code to your IM box that would flood it data and cause it to shut down the application.

..........."Paint it Black"..............?????
Are you an old Rolling Stones fan?

userexec

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Script kiddies suck.
Amen. I remember they used to be incredibly annoying back in the IRC days. So far as I can tell they never even had a reason for what they were doing. Just like kids going around smashing mailboxes at random, it was petty destruction for destruction's sake. I can't imagine someone who stays like that gets very far in the end.

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am more "Sympathy for the Devil" than "Paint it Black".

I think Paul Elio should do the exact opposite of what the little punks did.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They may not have been little punks (though most likely they were). They may have been grown-up, disgruntled a**holes with a particular grudge to sharpen at Elio's expense. Some of the "haters" who've been excluded? Don't know. Which is a pity, because I'd like to see their fingers chopped off at the first knuckle on each hand. That might discourage keyboard mischief!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
They may not have been little punks (though most likely they were). They may have been grown-up, disgruntled a**holes with a particular grudge to sharpen at Elio's expense. Some of the "haters" who've been excluded? Don't know. Which is a pity, because I'd like to see their fingers chopped off at the first knuckle on each hand. That might discourage keyboard mischief!
Doubt it; too many "speech to text" programs around.
Besides, by having P5 built in Red defeats them the way you have to.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Doubt it; too many "speech to text" programs around.
Besides, by having P5 built in Red defeats them the way you have to.
I'll confess to a leeetle bit of exaggeration there. But something stronger than a whack with a ruler is called for to deal with the really destructive hackers (esp. those in the employ of foreign states like China).

Reaction score
Ekh, I believe these were home grown terrorist. We probably know them or at least have engaged with them on these forums. OK, I got it. It was 'easy' for them to do it. But they are Grown up Bullies. But, since they did it so well, and got away with it and laughed over it whole deal, what is stopping them from doing to same thing over on start engine or the next general election. This was an act of sabotage by traders.

Top Bottom