• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Delaying Car Purchase?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Well, I definitely wouldn't want to be the first person to get into an accident with the Elio! Fortunately, there is about six months of waiting list in front of me (once and if the car finally rolls out), so we should have anecdotes about accidents by the time my number is called. :)

we decided prior to making a All In reservation that since we couldn't have one of the first 10 (thinking collector's value) we wanted ours to follow 40,000 or more off of the line .... there has never been a question of if we would buy one but, because we spend about half of the year traveling in our camper, we wanted to be able to roughly schedule when it would be built .... in addition, we would like to have an opportunity for a test drive and wanted to hear comments from folks with low registration numbers .... once the production date is announced we will adjust the category of our reservation so as to best meet our wants/needs

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One thing your stepson and others in this situation might want to consider is public transportation. I been using it most days to go to/from work, and its really saved me serious gas and wear and tear on my old pickup. Last few months, I got away with only 15 gallons of gas as opposed to about 40ish.
Not an option "out here". It's 40 miles to the closest bus stop, a 3 mile bus ride to get a mile closer to work, then another 2 mile walk to work. Or, I could just drive the 42 miles to work.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not an option "out here". It's 40 miles to the closest bus stop, a 3 mile bus ride to get a mile closer to work, then another 2 mile walk to work. Or, I could just drive the 42 miles to work.

that is similar to where we live in central NC .... we have very limited taxi, bus, and/or train service .... as this is being written, we are in St Louis where mass transit is much more prevalent as we are on our way to rural South Dakota where mass transit is all but nonexistent .... for us, electric vehicle technology at what for us is a reasonable price simply isn't there (been there, done that, no desire to try it again) .... consequently, gasoline or diesel powered personal transportation is the answer .... I don't see that changing within my lifetime .... we are looking forward to adding an Elio to our vehicles

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I just sold my 2007 Magnum that I got in 07 and it only had 52,000 miles on it; I used it as my long distance car.
I kept my 2008 Nitro that only has 31,000 on it.
Since I retired I really don't have to do the driving that I used to.
Now we only put on about 300 - 350 miles a month.
So I'm pretty set for vehicles that we need.
Both me and my wife have traveled extensively in the past (I've done 46 states, 9 countries and 4 provinces in Canada, my wife has done about 2/3 of what I've done) so we don't feel the need to travel now.
Might just call us home bodies.
But when the Elio comes out, well I think my gypsy blood will kick in, and I'll be out "in the wind" again.
I really miss being able to ride a bike, and the Elio is going to fill that hole in my soul.

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I live 64 miles from my office. I drive it 5 days a week. Since I do graveyard shift the bus loop is out of the question.

I can drive about 40 miles to the train the take that to the subway right to my office.

I can drive about 50 miles and take the subway directly to my office.

However the equation here is time versus money. I usually have a very tight time schedule since I take my youngest to school in the morning plus I also deliver pizza several nights a week.

I want this elio for the gas savings of me driving usually by myself or just one other person.

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I already delayed the purchase for a year. I won't be delaying it any further. New bike purchase to happen within the next 2-3 months.

Honestly believe that Elio is dead. At this point, I'm just on this board out of morbid curiosity and a desire to see how long they drag out their inevitable death.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Trains. the Amtrak route Chicago to Milwaukee . every $1 a rider sends to ride it cost tax payers .85 cents. do the math .
Public transportation on works when someone that does not use it pays for it.

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Trains. the Amtrak route Chicago to Milwaukee . every $1 a rider sends to ride it cost tax payers .85 cents. do the math .
Public transportation on works when someone that does not use it pays for it.
I don't know. Our city buses here run if I use them or not. Due to where I work, they cost me nothing to ride. However, if more people used them, they would have to add more buses to service the added people and would have to get more government funding to operate.

Our city buses are mostly used by WVU students. WVU pays so much to the system so WVU students can ride them "free".

So, hopefully my extra 200 lb isn't costing taxpayers much, but even if it is, its prolonging the useful life of my very old truck. And the way they put money to other countries, private companies and ultimate to there own pocketbooks, not losing much sleep over it. LOL

Chris F

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was holding off on a new car. Tuesday, a very distracted 20 rear old failed to see a red light and plowed right into me. Car was totaled for insurance purposes. I'm torn between getting the car repaired anyway or breaking down and getting something new. This is not the decision I was hoping to make.

Reactions: Ekh
Top Bottom