• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Deltawing Technologies

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Someone needs to talk about things like travel distance.
Looking at the motorcycle info it says 100 miles. At what speed?
Electric may work in densely populated areas for short haul drives, but I need to drive to Houston or El Paso, or Dallas, or Laredo.
Somehow it just doesn't appear to get the job done and at highway cruising speeds of 75 or 80 I have a feeling that distance drops way down.

Reid3400

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wind resistance goes up at the square of the speed.
I have an electric scoot. 3KW battery pack. Rough numbers; 50 mile range at 30mph, 25 mile range at 50mph. 2 e-bikes have 25 mile range at 30mph with 400W battery packs. The bikes are always run full throttle, so I have no idea of maximum range. Guys with 8KW battery packs on motorcycles can go 50 miles at 60+mph.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wind resistance goes up at the square of the speed.
I have an electric scoot. 3KW battery pack. Rough numbers; 50 mile range at 30mph, 25 mile range at 50mph. 2 e-bikes have 25 mile range at 30mph with 400W battery packs. The bikes are always run full throttle, so I have no idea of maximum range. Guys with 8KW battery packs on motorcycles can go 50 miles at 60+mph.

Reid3400,
You made exactly the point I was driving at. Electric vehicles don't get it done for high speed, long distance travel.
Example: My cardiologist is about 180 mile round trip on a highway with a posted 75 MPH limit half of the distance, 80 MPH the other half.
When I have my Elio I will be happy at 50 - 60 MPG and I know the 7 - 8 US Gallon tank will get me there and back 'cause they probably assumed 55 MPH when they figured the 84 MPG.
When you get away from cities, the electrics just won't get the job done.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Reid3400,
You made exactly the point I was driving at. Electric vehicles don't get it done for high speed, long distance travel.
Example: My cardiologist is about 180 mile round trip on a highway with a posted 75 MPH limit half of the distance, 80 MPH the other half.
When I have my Elio I will be happy at 50 - 60 MPG and I know the 7 - 8 US Gallon tank will get me there and back 'cause they probably assumed 55 MPH when they figured the 84 MPG.
When you get away from cities, the electrics just won't get the job done.
The Delta Wing three wheeler concept is being designed as a City Commuter not for long distance hauls. It would be perfect for most of my everyday in town driving needs. Larger Battery pack can jump distance to 180 miles and the 30 minute quick charge works while stopping for lunch or coffee break. Certainly not for everybody but at 200 hp on a light weight frame I'm betting it would be much quicker/faster than the Elio. The Elio will not meet my long distance driving needs either. I personally like the specs and performance potential of the EV. It may very well be my preferance but would like to test drive both for fit, finish, comfort features, and handling.
image.jpg

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did you know the Prius has a standard 12 Volt battery in addition to that big, expensive pack and that if said 12 Volt battery goes dead, the stupid car won't move? My daughter's Prius... we had to jump it to get it to move so I could drive it to the dealer to check out. I knew the battery was bad and wanted to make sure I got one that wouldn't out-gas some kind of crazytoxinvsince the battery is located in the people compartment.

Tesla has a normal automotive battery aswell that starts the electrical system. If its dead car wont "start". You can jump start it via terminals under the nosecone.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
bladeglider_03-640x426.jpg

“half the weight, half the fuel, half the horsepower, all the speed.”

Familiar concept. Difference is their starting point is a bit higher and they have a slightly different approach. Still looks pretty neat, and 57 MPG is nothing to sneeze at.

Full Article: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/03...-weight-all-the-fun-deltawing-road-cars-ahoy/

This looks like a very interesting concept and Panoz has the money to develop it so I would like to see how the Deltawing concepts evolve into a real vehicle some day. However first the lawsuit over intellectual property needs to be worked out between Panoz and NIssan.

If anyone wants more information on the lawsuit they should read the article below. It is long and detailed however towards the end they have information from a special master independent investigator appointed by the courts in Georgia. This investigator got hold of internal Nissan emails and memos where they pretty much admit to having not bought into the Panoz partnership and instead poaching the Panoz engineer to get to the intellectual property as well as other pieces of information that does not make Nissan look good in this at all.

http://www.automobilemag.com/featur...-lawsuit-overshadows-deltawing-road-car-plan/

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Range is the inherent problem with any of today's EV's. You don't always need a 200 mi range, but when you do, hope that you left home with the vehicle that will deliver it - and left your green EV in the garage. You don't want to become that specter - the electric zombie, wandering through the night and fog for an elusive electrical outlet. "power! . . . power!"

Top Bottom