• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Details On San Pedro Show

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I went to the Lobster Festival today it was a great time, HOT but still had fun for a Saturday. My wife and I both sat in the P4 and had mixed reviews, but we know and understand that this isn't a finished product and are looking forward to the next version. On a SAD note I was unaware that the automatic transmission was adding 600 dollars to the price tag. The Elio Rep today said this to the gentleman he was talking to while we were in line to see it.
Welcome :)

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I went to the Lobster Festival today it was a great time, HOT but still had fun for a Saturday. My wife and I both sat in the P4 and had mixed reviews, but we know and understand that this isn't a finished product and are looking forward to the next version. On a SAD note I was unaware that the automatic transmission was adding 600 dollars to the price tag. The Elio Rep today said this to the gentleman he was talking to while we were in line to see it.
Welcome to the forum. As Zelio mentioned, I wouldn't be concerned at this time about the price of the automatic transmission for the reasons she cited. We are fairly certain it will be an additional cost unfortunately.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
400 - 1000 ? That is quite a range. For such a small car (motorcycle) I would hope that the transmission would not be anywhere near 1000 dollars extra that in my eyes, well just insane!

We just do not have a good answer for the cost other than they have told us that they are aiming for under $1000 and EM generally has been trying to keep prices as low as possible. We have to keep in mind that there is not really a lot of cost cutting that EM can do for a large fixed assembly like the transmission other than finding the lowest cost option which suits their requirements.

We will just have to wait and see what plays out however since the Elio will use a small car transmission we have to expect that the automatic transmission cost will be similar to the automatic transmission option in other small cars. With rare exceptions compact and sub-compact cars, along with sports cars, are pretty much the only type of cars where you still find optional automatics. In small cars today the automatic option generally cost about $1,000 so we have to be prepared to pay that price and hope that EM can offer it for less.

Personally I would guess that EM will ultimately offer the automatic upgrade for between $600-$800 however this is only a guess based on what I have been able to find in term of the extra costs of an AMT over the manual.

Last edited:
Top Bottom