• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Devon Thorpe Interview With Paul Elio

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd add a couple other potential competitors, but not necessarily competitors in the typical sense:

Dealer Associations who are, after all, behind all State laws requiring cars be sold through franchised dealerships. Dealers fought back hard when the industry restructuring came along and many - like the Chrysler dealer down the street - successfully prevented their money-draining dealerships from being closed. Total company health be damned. A successful Elio is a bigger threat than these yahoos have ever faced, because it wouldn't be long before the Big 3 ask State legislators to take the handcuffs off them.

VCs and other big money players who don't want crowd-funding to be successful. Cheap money being given away for pieces of paper rather than controlling interests strikes at their very core, and their entire raison-d'être.

Motorcycle companies (disclaimer: I ride a Harley) who see this as an alternative for older buyers hitting their second childhood.

I'm sure I could think of a few more if I put my mind to it, I guess my point is I think Elio's competition might likely come from way out in left field.
I didn't think about motorcycle companies (Honda VTX1800C here). The Dealer Associations and Manufacturers are who I was thinking about when I said the big 3... not realizing the dealers were separate but thinking if one suffered, they both did.

Good points. I'm sure there's someone out there that makes more money without another car company... I just don't see it being very devastating.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd add a couple other potential competitors, but not necessarily competitors in the typical sense:

Dealer Associations who are, after all, behind all State laws requiring cars be sold through franchised dealerships. Dealers fought back hard when the industry restructuring came along and many - like the Chrysler dealer down the street - successfully prevented their money-draining dealerships from being closed. Total company health be damned. A successful Elio is a bigger threat than these yahoos have ever faced, because it wouldn't be long before the Big 3 ask State legislators to take the handcuffs off them.

VCs and other big money players who don't want crowd-funding to be successful. Cheap money being given away for pieces of paper rather than controlling interests strikes at their very core, and their entire raison-d'être.

Motorcycle companies (disclaimer: I ride a Harley) who see this as an alternative for older buyers hitting their second childhood.

I'm sure I could think of a few more if I put my mind to it, I guess my point is I think Elio's competition might likely come from way out in left field.
I completely agree. For example in Maine there has been a dramatic drop in dirt bike sales but a huge growth in ATV and OHV sales that tracks with our population age. My buddy at the AMA has talked with me about some data on this demographic shift of vehicle use.

ks6c

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I didn't think about motorcycle companies (Honda VTX1800C here). The Dealer Associations and Manufacturers are who I was thinking about when I said the big 3... not realizing the dealers were separate but thinking if one suffered, they both did.

Good points. I'm sure there's someone out there that makes more money without another car company... I just don't see it being very devastating.
Thank you, Ty.

Remember, though, it's not about who you and I might see as competitors or how devastating we think it may be that will influence the flow of information - it's all about who Elio sees as competition and how much of a risk they see. And I'm sure neither will be shared with us.

Bilbo B

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually, I'm not sure the need for 'openness' is all that unique. You have to compare Elio to other startups pre-selling product before it's even developed. You have to compare it to Kickstarter type projects, not new products from established companies. And openness is a big issue with kickstarter projects. People invest up front, trusting you'll deliver the product you said you would at the price you said you would, you need to keep them informed. It would help if you deliver the product somewhat on the schedule you said you would, too. If you can't (and there are plenty of kickstarter projects that don't), you'd better communicate or expect a backlash.

We do know much more about what's going on with Elio than we do about Ford's next Hybrid, but Ford didn't ask us to put money on the table several years before they even had a final design. If you're trying to keep people interested over several years for something not guaranteed to ever exist, you have to keep feeding them (new) information. Rehashing the same old news, or out right silence, doesn't do it.

That's why I feel we expect more out of Elio. They invited us along for the ride as they create this unique vehicle. We'd prefer window seats for the ride. Riding 'shotgun' would be even better. ;)

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I think the concerns about dealers/Assoc monopoly has been well addressed by Tesla, in each "fight" that I know of he's prevailed- here in S florida they have a "store" in the mall!!
You do raise a strong concern for M.C. companies, as the boomers get in line for their medicare, the numbers of "older" riders keeps going up, for me after 50yrs of bikes, I so look forward to a.c., automatic (bad knees), and not getting wet!!

Top Bottom