• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Did Elio Close On The Shreveport Plant?

Paladin4Elio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that production date was moved to Sept. 2015 and I have heard of no changes since that announcement. It was made by Paul Elio but I don't recall the date. Paul Elio tried very hard to keep to the March date but issues with the Shreveport plant that have now been resolved caused a change of schedule. Otherwise, it seems to be a good article. Thanks for posting. :) Z
Do you have a link? Otherwise, it is just belief....

Paladin4Elio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Paladin, for some reason the articles cranked out by some of the websites are not quite accurate. I've found the best source of the latest information is here or directly from Elio Motors.
That's where I found the linked article. There is a newer interview w/PE (dated July 14th), but my browser won't play the video. It is supposed to be here:
http://on.aol.com/video/translogic-154--elio-motors-518316285
If anyone can get it to play, please let us all know what PE says, if anything re. dates for start of "production" and start of "sales"/"available"/"introduction"/etc.

I agree with Zelio, Sept 2015 (or 3rd quarter from some sources, which to me would be July Aug or Sept, so I'm just always going with the worst-case scenario of Sept) is start of production.

<snip>

It's also quite possible that "sometime during 2015" is exactly what Forbes was told by EM, we don't know.
Frankly, I think the confusion is because people are confusing the terms used for those two key dates: production vs. introduction.

Until someone provides a link to something official or reputable, I'm trusting Forbes: production in March 2015, sales/introduction/available in Sept 2015.

If production isn't starting until Sept, they'll have less than 4 months to work out all of the teething pains in order to make sales/introduction/delivery/available in 2015....

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
That's where I found the linked article. There is a newer interview w/PE (dated July 14th), but my browser won't play the video. It is supposed to be here:
If anyone can get it to play, please let us all know what PE says, if anything re. dates for start of "production" and start of "sales"/"available"/"introduction"/etc.

Frankly, I think the confusion is because people are confusing the terms used for those two key dates: production vs. introduction.

Until someone provides a link to something official or reputable, I'm trusting Forbes: production in March 2015, sales/introduction/available in Sept 2015.

If production isn't starting until Sept, they'll have less than 4 months to work out all of the teething pains in order to make sales/introduction/delivery/available in 2015....

You're welcome to trust whatever sources you like. It's not up to me to convince you to the point where you will believe or trust me. I can tell you who my sources are, and you can choose to believe me or not, and it makes no difference to me if you tell me why my sources are not to be trusted.

Paul Elio said 3rd quarter 2015, in an email a few months back. The Elio Motors marketing folks, the ones that answer the Facebook questions every day, have stated about 100 times that production is on track to start 3rd quarter of 2015.

Plans may change in the coming months, and that date may change.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score

This video was actually filmed while the Elio was in Ontario, CA the end of March. The delay of the release was because of some issues Translogic had and that they explained. It is actually a very good interview if you are especially interested in seeing the Elio being driven on the street. The driver says and obviously shows he is enjoying driving the Elio. As Jeff Porter mentions, Paul Elio actually sent out an email to reservation holders explaining the need to move the production date from March 2015 to 3rd quarter 2015. I will try to find it for you. I honestly don't know how to find and provide links but I believe someone also posted a copy of the email here on elioowners so I will look there first. It was too long ago to try to find it in my emails. :-) Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I finally figured out how to copy and paste it.

logo.2.png
May 16, 2014

To our Elio Supporters:

Consumer demand for the Elio has accelerated dramatically during the first five months of 2014. Reservations have increased 170 percent since the beginning of the year, and continue at an impressive pace.

It is gratifying to see the public enthusiasm for a vehicle that will achieve 84 mpg on the highway and cost $6,800. Our nation needs the Elio, as evidenced by the thousands of potential drivers who are lining up at events across the country just to sit in the vehicle.

The Elio is a transportation bridge to the future, and we intend to produce the vehicle in a state-of-the-art plant. We have assessed the equipment needs of our plant in Shreveport, La., and expect to be prepared for production in the third quarter of 2015. This is a few months later than anticipated, with the delay tied to the evaluation of the plant as well as the timely closing of financing commitments. We are moving forward, and are excited about the progress we expect throughout the rest of 2014 and early 2015.

As I tour the country and see the reaction to the Elio, what is perhaps most impressive is the passion you, the Elio fans, have for our new vehicle. Your support for our vision and the Elio is invaluable to our ability to produce a vehicle that will be the talk of the town, create American jobs, help bring back manufacturing in our country, cut energy costs, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and protect the environment.

Look for more updates from me as Elio Motors’ momentum continues to build in the coming months.

Paul

Last edited:

Paladin4Elio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thx for the reply, zelio. I am sad to see that the start of production deadline has slipped... again. :(

Having watched the "old" Aptera die a slow death of missed deadline after missed deadline, the only thing that's keeping me optimistic about Elio now are fleet "sales." (Sales is in quotes since I do not know if there have, in fact, been any major fleet purchases/pre-purchases/deposits.)

I wonder what's the current estimate of when "sales"/"availability"/"deliveries"/etc will occur: early 2016???

Top Bottom