• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Digital Instrument Cluster

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why do you believe that it has to be static?
Aren't most of them? My truck (and my last one) had the GPS maps on removable media of one form or the other. The maps didn't stay updated. They couldn't add new roads or traffic info. My phone does and "Waze" users update the traffic as they drive. Plus, the little Waze cars on the map are kind of cute. I think that's what he meant by static-- not dynamically updating.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ummm, does that mean people are texting and driving to make those updates?
No. Hands free. But, it is more distracting than not using it, of course but not as distracting as that string of Christensen you realize your main road is dead stopped. Wake points those out and suggests alternate routes. It has saved me countless hours already.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Aren't most of them? My truck (and my last one) had the GPS maps on removable media of one form or the other. The maps didn't stay updated. They couldn't add new roads or traffic info. My phone does and "Waze" users update the traffic as they drive. Plus, the little Waze cars on the map are kind of cute. I think that's what he meant by static-- not dynamically updating.
I use USB to tie my Garmin to the computer then via the web download new maps about once a quarter. No problem.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did a dvd map upgrade on a Nissan a few months back for a friend. This thing took forever. It would also mean that one would have to purchase the sound system upgrade to use. I have never seen Waze operate but perhaps it might be the way to go. would it be possible for you to provide screen shots for those of us unfamiliar?

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio is primarily designed to be a commuter car. If you can't find your way to work one day to the next .....
With the factory spec'd radio having an iPhone/Android interface, there should be no reason to use anything but a smartphone/iPhone. The system is already in place to utilize their nav features. I believe most, if not all, providers no longer charge a fee for phone-based nav use.
IF the Elio is delivered with an LCD instrument cluster (or available as an option), it may be possible to interface the dash with the phone's display to have the map on the LCD.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio is primarily designed to be a commuter car. If you can't find your way to work one day to the next .....
With the factory spec'd radio having an iPhone/Android interface, there should be no reason to use anything but a smartphone/iPhone. The system is already in place to utilize their nav features. I believe most, if not all, providers no longer charge a fee for phone-based nav use.
IF the Elio is delivered with an LCD instrument cluster (or available as an option), it may be possible to interface the dash with the phone's display to have the map on the LCD.
I like the way you think!

Top Bottom