• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Digital Instrument Cluster

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Why do you believe that it has to be static?
Because most of the ones currently made are. For example the one on my grandmother's caddy can't be updated with new maps and you have to tap 10 times for it to recognize you want it to do something. More recent units aren't that bad and can be updated, but I've been in best buy comparing the gps units there against my phone, and the phone was better.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Because most of the ones currently made are. For example the one on my grandmother's caddy can't be updated with new maps and you have to tap 10 times for it to recognize you want it to do something. More recent units aren't that bad and can be updated, but I've been in best buy comparing the gps units there against my phone, and the phone was better.
If I remember, a caddy has 4 wheels too, as do all other cars I know about. These vehicle is new and I think we should learn to begin to expect the unexpected. And in your behalf, it might well be static. Neither of us has any idea at this point. The only consistency in life, is change.

SandyCWV

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Waze is updated by the people using it. On my way to work, I report cars on the side of the road, traffic jams, and police. It has helped me several times when the roads I take get stopped up.
Ummm, does that mean people are texting and driving to make those updates?

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Like I said, I do not use Waze, Would guess you are probably right. If I am going to be in the car for an extended period of time, usually more than an hour or so I have blue tooth on along with voice dial. Never do I text cuz if it ain't important enough for you to dial, it ain't important enuf for me to bother with until I reach my destination!

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
no, but it does take too much attention to do the updates.

For example if you want to report a speed trap you tap the button for updates, then tap police, then tap whether they are visible or hidden, then you tap which side of the road they are on, then you tap to confirm the information. It should be a matter of tapping the updates button then tapping on police and that's it. The rest of the information - while definitely useful to everyone - simply takes too much attention and time to report stuff yourself if you're not a passenger. (and officially only passengers are supposed to be doing the reporting).

It also has a voice command interface - but it is EXTREMELY bad.

It is VERY useful however even w/out manual updates because it keeps track of waze users over time and submits their locations and speeds for processing automatically and thus dynamically determining locations of traffic jams and dynamically rerouting people around them.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
no, but it does take too much attention to do the updates.

For example if you want to report a speed trap you tap the button for updates, then tap police, then tap whether they are visible or hidden, then you tap which side of the road they are on, then you tap to confirm the information. It should be a matter of tapping the updates button then tapping on police and that's it. The rest of the information - while definitely useful to everyone - simply takes too much attention and time to report stuff yourself if you're not a passenger. (and officially only passengers are supposed to be doing the reporting).

It also has a voice command interface - but it is EXTREMELY bad.

It is VERY useful however even w/out manual updates because it keeps track of waze users over time and submits their locations and speeds for processing automatically and thus dynamically determining locations of traffic jams and dynamically rerouting people around them.
Sounds like distracted driving. The watchers are watching. :cool:

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Consider the source of the information, Towers? Good freaking luck! You have just entered the twilight zone. I'll keep my satellite link, thank you!

All things considered I will stick with my Garmin, although you wouldn't like
to hear what I holler at it when I miss the exit! :)

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, our lighting people are a tad unconventional, spelling their name with 2 K's.
and while I like that too it is just too big for the Elio without modification, I am wondering just where the heck they are going to put a NAV system. Lets face it, we only have half the space that an automobile has. Dash type real estate will be at a premium. Maybe a fold up and away screen where the rearview mirror would normally be.

If I'm the 'Dakota' guys I'm looking at being an aftermarket alternative............... :)

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
power outlet...... I wonder how many and where? I would like to see three, one on the dash, one on the right side of the back seat and one in the trunk. Or at the minimum 2 on the dash so I don't have to use one of those milti adapters.
On the current P4 they have two (one 12Vdc, one USB) on the dash (below the radio), and One 12Vdc in the rear (right side).

Top Bottom