• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Direct Sales Banned In New Jersey

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
That was my point in the comparison. That Harley has more control over it's dealerships in general. Yes, they have local owners, but they, like authorized car dealerships, have to play by Harley's rules, be trained by HD, and get certified by them. Most car dealerships are the same way, they have to go through the manufacturer to be an "authorized" dealer for that make. If you read what Elio is saying, they are setting up the same thing. Stand alone retail centers where people trained by Elio will sell their products, including parts from their suppliers for personalizing the vehicle. This is NOT direct sales the way Tesla is doing things.

Ok, I understand where you are coming from now. It is a known fact that Elio Motors will be running their own sales centers just like Tesla. Last year they even released a document with all their expected expenses laid out. The document was released as part of the process to acquire their factory space in Shreveport, La. One way they are controlling costs to consumers is by controlling the sales process.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6pgWLAKqAbLSkNUUURwNlNHMTQ/edit

Last edited by a moderator:

Brainmatter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That was my point in the comparison. That Harley has more control over it's dealerships in general. Yes, they have local owners, but they, like authorized car dealerships, have to play by Harley's rules, be trained by HD, and get certified by them. Most car dealerships are the same way, they have to go through the manufacturer to be an "authorized" dealer for that make. If you read what Elio is saying, they are setting up the same thing. Stand alone retail centers where people trained by Elio will sell their products, including parts from their suppliers for personalizing the vehicle. This is NOT direct sales the way Tesla is doing things.
O.k. sorry. That's cool. We are in agreement on the Harley thing then.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From what I have heard about Gov. Christy (or is it ie?) it makes me wonder what Tesla did to piss him off. It apparently doesn't take much so maybe they refused to give him a free car. Texas doesn't surprise me. After all they are an oil state. Who knows why Arizona did it. I have never been able to figure out their politics.
Arizona, Hmmm, Isn't that where Elio is moving its corporate headquarters to?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Arizona, Hmmm, Isn't that where Elio is moving its corporate headquarters to?

Elio is now officially based in Phoenix, AZ. The good news is that thanks to Tesla Arizona now looks like they will change their laws to allow direct vehicle sales and Texas may follow suit. Both of those states are lobbying hard to convince Tesla to build a giant new battery factory in their states which would create thousands of jobs.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If states use the word "vehicle"...... does it apply to bicycle sales as well? Since this initiative is from the Automotive Dealers' Lobby, I'll bet it is 'worded' to benefit THEM, and not so 'broad and vague' as to be ruled UN-constitutional.
I'm sure you are correct in that premise. I also know that the State of Arizona passed legislation to create a unique classification for the Elio. In Arizona it is an "autobike or autocycle" and for that reason I would expect that it would be exempted from classification as either an automobile or a motorcycle, at least in that state.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would like to volunteer to be the independent owner in Texas using the Saturn model of having fixed pricing while maintaining the independent franchisee tag with operating profit built into the fixed pricing set at the factory. I could use the job. Sugarland is too far away for me and the factory is closer than New Orleans to my east. I sit right on I-10 so it would be very convenient.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Marshall; this thread is 2 years old, and I believe a number of things have changed since it was active.
I thought I'd heard there was a recent attempt to change the law in Texas that once again got shot down by the Auto Dealers lobby. I'm sure we'll be discussing this next year...and the year after...

Top Bottom