• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Diy Hands On Projects

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That looks great. My grandfather used to work in a plant that made wooden ice boxes. When that industry ended he went in with a buddy where they took the old ice boxes people threw away and converted them to refrigerators. He was the woodworker and repaired and refinished them. After that ended he did high end woodworking for a company that did executive furniture. The high end board room stuff.

He did woodworking up until he was 95. I can’t do it but I can tell you that you put some time in it. What’s next on the list?

I am trying to finish up my tool cabinet. Still have drawers in the bottom to make.

Cabinet.JPG

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are not getting it out of it that easy. I want a timeline on when you are getting it done. Then a bill of materials. I’m gonna keep the pressure on you as I don’t need you to big me on my projects. I already get enough of that at home.
Wait. What? I just meant that my post wasn't in response to yours. I was apologizing for jumping in line there. Though, my timeline is "by September".

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After suffering with a bad cold/sore throat for the last few weeks, I was asked by a lady at work if I would make her a display cabinet for her Harley Davidson poker chips. I figured it would be a good simple project to get me back into the shop and back up to speed. It is made of 1/4" walnut plywood with a 1/4" maple plywood back, glued together. The edges are walnut with grooves to go around the plywood and also accommodate a Lexan cover. The right side was cut and then the top was glued to the Lexan to slide open.

It holds 50 chips. She sent me a picture after putting her chips in.

Display 2.jpeg

She doesn't know it yet, but I am also finishing up a second one to give her for Christmas as I figure she will fill the first one quickly.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
well done indeed .... my bet is it will become a heirloom that will passed down the line in her family

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Poker chips are interesting to me, simply because I have one, the only thing I have left from my grandpa. An elks-club poker chip from before 1950. Supposedly one of the chips Mr Browning could have also played with my grandpa and their hunting buddies in Utah. Ahnm, yes, THAT Mr Browning. And yep, grandpa was allowed to buy a #002 automatic pump shot gun...details on and on.. old fart story to follow.
The only thing I remember he ever tried to teach me, "don't gamble". And gave me that chip. Definitely a mixed message, yes?

Last edited:

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Best part for her was that when she asked what she owed me, I said a smile. I had all the materials needed laying around already so I didn't spend anything extra. Others at work suggested I make them for sale, but they don't understand that with time and materials they would cost over $100.00

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lately I've been setting up my lathe with a duplicator attachment. In the picture below I'm making chisel handles. The upper one is the pattern, the lower is in progress. I can duplicate up to 36" long, for handrails and two part bedposts. Hopefully I can sell some chisel handles on e-bay as retirement income. Not shown is the top of the handle will be turned to a 1/2" shaft and a stack of leather washers put on. It will then be cleaned up and some finish put on.

Lathe Duplicator.jpg

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lately I've been setting up my lathe with a duplicator attachment. In the picture below I'm making chisel handles. The upper one is the pattern, the lower is in progress. I can duplicate up to 36" long, for handrails and two part bedposts. Hopefully I can sell some chisel handles on e-bay as retirement income. Not shown is the top of the handle will be turned to a 1/2" shaft and a stack of leather washers put on. It will then be cleaned up and some finish put on.

View attachment 23708
Do you have a complete one with the chisel on it? I'd like to see that.

Top Bottom