1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

Diy Hands On Projects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AriLea, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Made in USA

Made in USA Elio Addict

Nope. Too busy with other things. About to make stair spindles for a niece and still have some work to do on the tool cabinet. Here's latest picture with additional drawers and cleaned up a little:

cabinet feb 2020.jpg

2. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

Those french curves over on the left bring back memories of when I did drafting. I have two sets. One is a nice set of SS ones and the others are cheap clear plastic. I ended up using the cheap ones because they worked so much better and you could see through them.

3. Made in USA

Made in USA Elio Addict

These French curves are from Lost Art Press. They are made from bamboo plywood. They are somewhat flexible and you can mark on them. Also, the edges are straight up and down (no bevel) so they can be flipped over. Lee Valley also sells something similar.

4. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

What made the SS ones nice was when you needed to erase a curve. Stick it just next to it, flip the switch on the eraser and go to town on it. The clear ones were nice because you could lay it down and at least try to imagine what it was to look like before you put pencil to paper. I still have my old compasses that were from the 1940's that I bought used in the 70's. It had all of the doo dads on them too. Years ago, I took them all apart, cleaned them up, polished them and reassembled. Put them back in the case where they sit in my office. Even the containers that hold the needles and lead are metal and slip fit where they look like a big pill. One even still has spare screws and hardware in it.

5. Made in USA

Made in USA Elio Addict

I'll bet you even have the tips for ink. One step up from feathers. I too still have an electric eraser. Haven't used it in years.

6. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

I did learn how to fix my electric eraser because they were pretty expensive and it was worth it to fix it. Typically the bearings would start to go. I remember, one of them that I had, I ended up finding some really expensive Japanese bearings for it and having to put the shaft in the freezer and the bearings in a toaster. Then quickly, drop the bearing on the shaft, place them and then they were there for life. It worked great but then the winding took a dump and I had enough. It went into the garbage. That was right where I was doing CAD most of the time, so I never needed it any more.

7. W. WIllie

W. WIllie Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    I remember back in High School when I was taking drafting, we did our own blueprints by hand. Mix the solution, dip in the drawing, put between two sheets of glass, put out in the sun, and after a while, a blueprint was completed. The hardest part of drafting was the "pictorials", having to plot each point of the view on a curve was stressful. .
    Now, I guess they just push the "print" button.

8. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

I will admit, it's much better today but that "print" button is rarely used now. I have a wide format printer that I got 20 years ago and I bet I have not printed anything off of it in 2 years. Everyone just wants a file. Then, if you are doing complex curves you just note the file number because it's impossible to represent what it is with dimensions. Best examples are just look at any recent car. The bodywork or just the dash, those are all done with basic measurements and then the rest is just referenced in the file. Even with machinery (that could easily be a paper print) most machine shops just have a monitor out in the shop and then they just reference that for what needs to be done. Thus, if you mess up on not including a dimension, they just look back at the file and get it. I love seeing how far technology has come. I'm living through the golden age right now.