• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Diy Hands On Projects

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looking at a possible resto project now. Was down at my mothers poking around in the garage and found this sled. Was a Christmas present in 1965 or so. Was going to refinish and restore but not sure I should. Sometimes its better to leave something in original condition, even if it is a little rough. Still trying to decide.
Well, depends on intent.
Do you want the memory, the function, or the resale value?
Definitely, for resale you only restore the structure and stablise deterioration. So you glue or weld things broken or split, use rust converter rather than grind any off, and oil or seal the wood rather that resurface it.
Only you know what suits 'memory'. But for function, all levels of refubishing including wood replacement if needed come into play. You simply keep to the original design.

You could also consider mixed purposes or intent.

But I'm sure you are already considering all this. Just hoping to contribute... -smiles-

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't plan on selling it, my thought was to put it by the tree around Christmastime, more as a decoration, so for that it would certainly need some cleaning up, on the other hand, even not thinking of selling it, I am interested in not damaging its (someday) value. Lots to think about there, so I am taking my time. There is nothing broken or damaged on it to fix, just age marks and wrinkled paint, so that contributes to my thoughts on it. No rust that I can see, looks like the clearcoat they put over the wood and runners has crazed, and the decals are worn pretty thin.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
... not damaging its (someday) value. clearcoat ... crazed, and the decals are worn pretty thin.
Keep those visibly in that condition, but possibly stablized in some fashion. Maybe also treat the metal parts with gun-oil. That worn appearance partly certifes an antique status and adds to the character. So definitely view it, keep it out of the direct sun for long periods and don't actually use it forcefully.

Reactions: Hog

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As some of you have probably already guessed, I'm one who likes to tinker and make things. Presently, I am working on my "home made" heat exchanger for my fireplace. I usually utilize items I already have or find at Goodwill. (I really enjoy saving stuff from the land fill and giving it a new life) I'm also cheap!!
In addition to the leaf blower (in the picture) I also have a GREAT stand alone centrifugal fan (that I found at Goodwill) both of these fans spin way too fast and push the air too quickly through the heat exchanger.
My goal is to slow down the fan speed. I was poking around on ebay and saw fan speed controllers for alternating current. I think they are for hydroponics fans in green houses. In the picture, it looks like the seller is using this fan speed controller to slow down a centrifugal fan, but I'm not sure.
Does anyone know anything about how these controllers work?? Do you think it might work for my application?? Any warnings, like slowing down the motors on the fans will cause them to overheat and catch fire??
Thank you in advance for any advice, suggestions, etc.
Leaf_blower.JPG

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As some of you have probably already guessed, I'm one who likes to tinker and make things. Presently, I am working on my "home made" heat exchanger for my fireplace. I usually utilize items I already have or find at Goodwill. (I really enjoy saving stuff from the land fill and giving it a new life) I'm also cheap!!
In addition to the leaf blower (in the picture) I also have a GREAT stand alone centrifugal fan (that I found at Goodwill) both of these fans spin way too fast and push the air too quickly through the heat exchanger.
My goal is to slow down the fan speed. I was poking around on ebay and saw fan speed controllers for alternating current. I think they are for hydroponics fans in green houses. In the picture, it looks like the seller is using this fan speed controller to slow down a centrifugal fan, but I'm not sure.
Does anyone know anything about how these controllers work?? Do you think it might work for my application?? Any warnings, like slowing down the motors on the fans will cause them to overheat and catch fire??
Thank you in advance for any advice, suggestions, etc.
It's probably cheaper/easier to switch to something else. Maybe a PC fan? These are cheap online and elsewhere, sometimes 5vdc or sometimes12vdc. Anyone of your cheap AC 'lumps will power it. I used it to experiment with a solar powered hardhat for cooling. Worked pretty good in the sun, where it really maters.

There also are little heating units for a small room sometimes at goodwill. Just disable the heating unit.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe a PC fan?
Thank you for your response and help.
Yes, I tried a PC fan... It didn't push enough volume of air through the black iron pipe. I've also tried various axial fans and found centrifugal fans do the job.
The leaf blower fan and other centrifugal fan (I have) push about 90 degree air out of the end of my heat exchanger, I figure if I can slow them down a bit, the air will be hotter and I'll still have enough volume to heat that part of the house.
And yes, I'm always scouring Goodwill for heaters, fans and other items to tinker with.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
... yes, I'm always scouring Goodwill for heaters, fans and other items to tinker with.
That's my kind of guy! :cool:
I feel it's some kind of an art form to do these surviver solutions!
My desk-in-the-bedroom I've used for years. Recently removed for the home renovations.
(Swings out and back, you can see back at page 2, from 2015, it doesn't have it yet)
1675625509994.png

Last edited:

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My desk-in-the-bedroom I've used for years. Recently removed for the home renovations.
(Swings out and back, you can see back at page 2, from 2015, it doesn't have it yet)
Years ago, I lived in a small studio apartment and needed a desk that would swing down and out of the way. I went to IKEA and looked around, they had the perfect table. I liked everything about it but the price, so I copied their design and made my own.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
dual fan window units are what I use, they are 3 speed, plus have a heat sensor built in. I have one over my woodstove that pumps the heat into my hot air ducts that is also used by the hot air furnace. this is similar, but be sure it has the built in thermostatic control (usually a separate knob above the fan speed control knobs). Picture is just for a visual, but this is the type. (BTW mine has been running since 2005, usually from November until April on medium speed T-state set to 80 (so it turns off when the stove cools down).

Attachments

• 51wPART7XVL._AC_US100_.jpg
    51wPART7XVL._AC_US100_.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 69

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So,, speaking of survivor engineering, err, McGivering skills,
I could not find a drain board of the right size at about 4 stores recently. I'm trying to avoid using the new and clean dish-washer.

So my solution is to take two marble tiles, solicone join them, and put furnature coasters as legs with risers of varing length under, such that water runs to the center and toward the one end. The legs at the drain-end are spaced back so it hangs over the sink. Works really well, and I think it looks nicer than plastic. (but hugely more expensive, except it was spare tile) Only black, brown and white were common. Not so much now apparently. (yuh like the car?)

Do you think that will play well when people come to see the house to sell?

(had to black out the distracting moving boxes in the background)
1675698561907.png

Top Bottom